Mychal Givens

weams

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not trying to minimize what Hader is...just saying that the Brewers window is pretty close to shutting and trading him could be an excellent way of getting some ML ready talent in. 

Also, I would think trying to make a run at extending Yelich would be somewhat more realistic if they were not spending the money Hader will earn in arbitration.

They are exploring the trade market of Hader. They realize his value is near peak and could get some game changers. Though, they are not committed to trading him and are still in a "don't waste prime Yelich" mode.'

You have a super-star player in his prime on a good contract. Don't waste that window,. It's a similar reason why you will never see the Angels blow it up as long as trout is around.

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not trying to minimize what Hader is...just saying that the Brewers window is pretty close to shutting and trading him could be an excellent way of getting some ML ready talent in. 

Also, I would think trying to make a run at extending Yelich would be somewhat more realistic if they were not spending the money Hader will earn in arbitration.

Hader is a key piece in what makes the Brewers work. They don't have the best pitching, so they rely heavily on their bullpen.

I think trading a very affordable Hader would be prematurely throwing in the towel on a still very open window. They have Yelich under control at an affordable rate, Corbin Burnes and Keston Hiura have just arrived, they added some potential in Luis Urias, and have Brice Turang getting close.

They're in good shape.

3 hours ago, Scalious said:

They are exploring the trade market of Hader. They realize his value is near peak and could get some game changers. Though, they are not committed to trading him and are still in a "don't waste prime Yelich" mode.'

You have a super-star player in his prime on a good contract. Don't waste that window,. It's a similar reason why you will never see the Angels blow it up as long as trout is around.

Trading Hader would not be wasting the window of Yelich. In my opinion it is an opportunity to extend the window. 

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Trading Hader would not be wasting the window of Yelich. In my opinion it is an opportunity to extend the window. 

We all know what the Yankees want to do. Load up for a run. Especially if the Astros lost some pieces. So they could do a Hader deal that is centered around Andujar+, then go get Lindor. I think it’ll play out as,

Hader - NYY

Betances - LAD

MIL, HOU, Minn, Mets, Phillies - all looking for a “cheap” reliever(Givens), versus having to pay a 35 yo Will Harris that is coming off a career year. 

9 hours ago, Scalious said:

Perfectly reasonable approach.    Almost no player should be off-limits in a trade.    It’s a matter of what the return is.     But the price for Hader would be extremely high.   

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

His remarks were made in high school, and unearthed in July 2018.     It would be odd if they had any impact on the Brewers wanting to trade him in the 2019-20 offseason.   

Agree with this. It's old news. The Brewers would have already traded him if it was really an issue. I am though amazed at how many times this still happens with the younger generation. Camila Cabella (young pop singer) just had event worse racially charged social media posts surface from her early teens. I guess in my naive older mind younger people are more progressive thinking and more accepting, but I guess racism truly is timeless. Not back to baseball..

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Agree with this. It's old news. The Brewers would have already traded him if it was really an issue. I am though amazed at how many times this still happens with the younger generation. Camila Cabella (young pop singer) just had event worse racially charged social media posts surface from her early teens. I guess in my naive older mind younger people are more progressive thinking and more accepting, but I guess racism truly is timeless. Not back to baseball..

*Now back to baseball (is what I meant to say). 

10 hours ago, Scalious said:

Ironically we should have been doing the same with Zach Britton a few years ago. Also, people were saying the same thing about Andrew Miller a few years ago and he's definitely come back down to earth quite a bit. Trying to sell high on Hader seems like a smart move to me, especially for a mid-market team. 

8 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ironically we should have been doing the same with Zach Britton a few years ago. Also, people were saying the same thing about Andrew Miller a few years ago and he's definitely come back down to earth quite a bit. Trying to sell high on Hader seems like a smart move to me, especially for a mid-market team. 

Yeah, the Yankees probably should have been selling high on Mariano Rivera in about 1998 or so.    At least, I wish they had!

(PS - yes, I know, the Yankees are not a mid-market team....)

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, the Yankees probably should have been selling high on Mariano Rivera in about 1998 or so.    At least, I wish they had!

(PS - yes, I know, the Yankees are not a mid-market team....)

The One time the Yankees have sold in the last 25 years, they got huge returns for Chapman and Miller. Then promptly resigned Chapman. Haha. Oh yeah, the Nats are the reason why it’s tough for us to win. 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, wildbillhiccup said:

Not back to baseball.

*Now back to baseball (is what I meant to say). 

At the Hangout, "Not back to baseball" might very well apply.  Says the guy who started a global warming meltdown!

Yep, 15 year-olds say dumb, outrageous, and hurtful things for attention. It shouldn't go on their permanent record. Actions speak louder than words.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

o

(vs. RED SOX, 7/25)

Givens entered the game with a runner on 1st base and 2 outs in the 8th inning. 

He stranded the runner at 3rd base to close out the 8th inning, and then recorded 3 more outs in the 9th to end the game.

Overall he recorded 4 outs while facing 5 batters, tallying 2 Strikeouts and ceding a Single.

He wound up throwing )21 Pitches )(14 )Strikes, )7 )Balls) )over 1.33 Innings Pitched.

o

On 12/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, MurphDogg said:

Yep, 15 year-olds say dumb, outrageous, and hurtful things for attention. It shouldn't go on their permanent record. Actions speak louder than words.

They do, this is true.

But I was 15 and never had these kind of character issues. To quote Dave Chappelle, “how old is 15 really?”