The Corner OF Options

ChuckS

I went to the game today and DD was on with Steve Melewski on 105.7 before the game and when asked about the season the first thing DD brought up was the lack of production from the corner OF spots. I'm paraphrasing but he also talked about how we have to hold on until we get some pieces back.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to the game today and DD was on with Steve Melewski on 105.7 before the game and when asked about the season the first thing DD brought up was the lack of production from the corner OF spots. I'm paraphrasing but he also talked about how we have to hold on until we get some pieces back.

Well maybe if he didn't trade for filler (Snider) and go with a plan of let's see what sticks....maybe he would have more production. Just a thought:)

Well maybe if he didn't trade for filler (Snider) and go with a plan of let's see what sticks....maybe he would have more production. Just a thought:)

I have to admit I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Those are the spots he let players walk. He also used the old Bill Parcells line you are what your record is but sounded confident in the team.

I have to admit I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Those are the spots he let players walk. He also used the old Bill Parcells line you are what your record is but sounded confident in the team.

I like DD but clearly he wasn't engaged. If we had signed Cruz, we wouldn't have signed Young and probably let De Aza walk. No Snider. Do you think that would have improved things? hmmm...

But hey, many on here think their team is their own personal checking account and like to save money so they didn't want to give Cruz the extra year. Heck, who does, but you have to pay for premium talent and Cruz was a good fit here. Oh well, done now.

I like DD but clearly he wasn't engaged. If we had signed Cruz, we wouldn't have signed Young and probably let De Aza walk. No Snider. Do you think that would have improved things? hmmm...

But hey, many on here think their team is their own personal checking account and like to save money so they didn't want to give Cruz the extra year. Heck, who does, but you have to pay for premium talent and Cruz was a good fit here. Oh well, done now.

Will agree to disagree here. I think DD was engaged. Whether he brought in the right players in to fill those spots will be answered as the season goes on.

Keep spouting Kenny's line.

Mr. Rosenthal. Spinner.

So he thinks we should have signed Cruz? Wow-how crazy:) We have a grab-bag of OFers now that aren't doing the job. Where is the controversy there? I am confused with your point.

So he thinks we should have signed Cruz? Wow-how crazy:) We have a grab-bag of OFers now that aren't doing the job. Where is the controversy there? I am confused with your point.

Dan Duquette was always engaged. Whether you like his work or not. The other stuff is just media fluffer.

Dan Duquette was always engaged. Whether you like his work or not. The other stuff is just media fluffer.

Let me be clear: I think DD is a good GM. I don't dislike his work. I think this offseason was a fiasco. He clearly wanted to go to Toronto. If you are stuck in job X and want to go to job Y, you probably aren't going to be very happy. I don't want to rehash all that though....

My point is I think Cruz may have gotten signed without all these other distractions. Maybe he wouldn't have either way, who knows. Regardless I think it was a mistake. That is my point. I thought Snider wasn't a starter, he isn't. People loved that move.

Sometimes sifting through the trash cash just results in stuff that belonged there. At some point, you gotta pay for premium talent.

I loved Nick, but letting him go made sense. That Braves contract is silly. Still don't like seeing Nick in another uniform, but that's the fan part of me talking.

We have too many pieces of similar players, none of them exceptional: Young & Pearce (who I both like a great deal), Lough (one-dimensional because nobody else is a real good OF), Snider (yuck), De Aza (yuck), Parmalee (only should be playing 1B probably), Alvarez (not quite ready).

Signing Cruz made sense even if you overpaid and he was completely useless the last year of his contract.

What's the appeal of Trumbo? Just seems like another low OBP, high K guy, and poor defender. He would hit some more home runs than the guys we have now, but probably end up with about the same OPS and worse defense than our current options. I don't see this guy as the answer.

Archived