Caleb for full-time DH vs LHP when Wieters returns

FanSince88

I'd really like to see Caleb play DH against every LHP after Wieters returns. Paredes can play 2B with him platooning at 2B with Flash (DH Paredes vs RHP). I realize Paredes isn't very good defensively but clearly this lineup needs the best hitters available. Unless Caleb can learn to play first but I'm not going to make that assumption.

He's clearly doing better offensively this year than Pearce or Young and heck he may even have more upside than them too. Need to keep his bat active and fresh somehow. He should spell Wieters against RHP opponents only, if possible. Can't say I'm thrilled about Wieters taking Caleb's bat out of the lineup but I can live with this arrangement if that happens. Hopefully they will both be productive and can both stay in the lineup as much as possible.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Backup catchers don't start.

Why not? If Wieters gets hurt during a game, the designated hitter is allowed to sub in for him. Your pitcher would have to bat the rest of the game, but in that unlikely scenario it's only one game and they can call the next guy up the following day.

Why not? If Wieters gets hurt during a game, the designated hitter is allowed to sub in for him. Your pitcher would have to bat the rest of the game, but in that unlikely scenario it's only one game and they can call the next guy up the following day.

I don't.really disagree. Buck does though.

I was thinking the same when Wieters gets back. Don't see Buck doing it though.

Well if he doesn't that leaves only 3 decent hitters in the batting order (Jones, Machado, and Paredes) against lefties. Wieters is going to be a huge question mark who will probably take at least few weeks to start producing meaningfully on offense.

Well if he doesn't that leaves only 3 decent hitters in the batting order (Jones, Machado, and Paredes) against lefties. Wieters is going to be a huge question mark who will probably take a few weeks at best to even start producing meaningfully on offense.

Preaching to the choir. I agree with you. Won't happen.

Pearce has a sub-.600 OPS. Delmon is living in the mid-.600s due to his lack of power. Caleb's at .770 and Paredes is going to be .800+ for a while. Gotta find a spot for Caleb and Paredes somewhere vs LHP at the very least. There is a distinct drop-off beyond them. If you'd rather put Paredes in the OF than at second, then fine. Just keep him and Caleb in the lineup somehow, someway.

Preaching to the choir. I agree with you. Won't happen.

I trust Buck overall but some of his individual decisions can be maddening. Hoping that he sees the light and realizes that Caleb has to stay in the lineup at least on a semi-regular basis. For two reasons -- this team is short on good hitters, and an extended absence could hurt Caleb's offensive rhythm

I'd really like to see Caleb play DH against every LHP after Wieters returns. Paredes can play 2B with him platooning at 2B with Flash (DH Paredes vs RHP). I realize Paredes isn't very good defensively but clearly this lineup needs the best hitters available. Unless Caleb can learn to play first but I'm not going to make that assumption.

He's clearly doing better offensively this year than Pearce or Young and heck he may even have more upside than them too. Need to keep his bat active and fresh somehow. He should spell Wieters against RHP opponents only, if possible. Can't say I'm thrilled about Wieters taking Caleb's bat out of the lineup but I can live with this arrangement if that happens. Hopefully they will both be productive and can both stay in the lineup as much as possible.

Paredes to platoon with Flaherty? The offensively challenged Flaherty? He a bench player.

I trust Buck overall but some of his individual decisions can be maddening. Hoping that he sees the light and realizes that Caleb has to stay in the lineup at least on a semi-regular basis. For two reasons -- this team is short on good hitters, and an extended absence could hurt Caleb's offensive rhythm

There are certainly some things I disagree with, but like you, feel very comfortable with him overall.

Paredes to platoon with Flaherty? The offensively challenged Flaherty? He a bench player.

vs RHP -- Paredes DH, Flash at 2nd

vs LHP -- Paredes 2b, Caleb at DH.

So Paredes is in the lineup everyday, he's just playing different positions based on LHP/RHP. Does that make more sense?

Archived