Caleb for full-time DH vs LHP when Wieters returns

FanSince88

vs RHP -- Paredes DH, Flash at 2nd

vs LHP -- Paredes 2b, Caleb at DH.

So Paredes is in the lineup everyday, he's just playing different positions based on LHP/RHP. Does that make more sense?

Paredes doesn't do as well v LHP. DH Reimold and play Pearce at 2B until Schoop returns.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about if Caleb is the starting catcher against LHP? They are going to be splitting time 50/50 for a while anyway. With Matt coming back after a year, it might be better to ease him in by starting him only against RHP.

How about if Caleb is the starting catcher against LHP? They are going to be splitting time 50/50 for a while anyway. With Matt coming back after a year, it might be better to ease him in by starting him only against RHP.

I like that but I think Buck might not like it for a few reasons

a) Wieters hits for better avg vs LHP if I'm not mistaken

b) Wieters should probably get looks from both sides of the plate as a switch hitter at least for his first few weeks back.

Paredes doesn't do as well v LHP. DH Reimold and play Pearce at 2B until Schoop returns.

I wouldn't start Reimold at DH over Caleb. He may be having a nice little AAA season but I need to see him prove it at the MLB level before I DH him. Maybe play some outfield, sure, but not sure about DH for Reimold, when he hasn't accomplished much at the MLB level for several seasons now.

I like that but I think Buck might not like it for a few reasons

a) Wieters hits for better avg vs LHP if I'm not mistaken

b) Wieters should probably get looks from both sides of the plate as a switch hitter at least for his first few weeks back.

Some years, Wieters hits better from the left side, sometimes from the right. By late July I expect he will be catching 6 days a week, so it really doesn't matter how they share the time now.

People (not necessarily in this thread) keep looking forward to Wieters coming back. I've been saying all season, I'm not sure he's going to be an upgrade offensively or defensively. He's in his Boras walk year so he's going to get his reps. Here's hoping he sets the world on the fire and we get our pick.

People (not necessarily in this thread) keep looking forward to Wieters coming back. I've been saying all season, I'm not sure he's going to be an upgrade offensively or defensively. He's in his Boras walk year so he's going to get his reps. Here's hoping he sets the world on the fire and we get our pick.

Great post. I'd start Joseph over the greedy MW anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't start Reimold at DH over Caleb. He may be having a nice little AAA season but I need to see him prove it at the MLB level before I DH him. Maybe play some outfield, sure, but not sure about DH for Reimold, when he hasn't accomplished much at the MLB level for several seasons now.
Then I'd play Reimold in the OF and DH Pearce or Delmon. I'm not DHing the back up catcher because Caleb hit a HR today. Last week people were saying he needed a rest because he wasn't hitting. :rolleyestf:

Then I'd play Reimold in the OF and DH Pearce or Delmon. I'm not DHing the back up catcher because Caleb hit a HR today. Last week people were saying he needed a rest because he wasn't hitting. :rolleyestf:

He's been the fourth best hitter on this team all year long. Only ones better so far have been Jones, Manny, and Paredes. I'm not basing it on his performance today, have had this thought for a few weeks now. He was known as more of a hitter than a fielder in the minors, so I'm not surprised he has improved this year at the plate.

He's been the fourth best hitter on this team all year long. Only ones better so far have been Jones, Manny, and Paredes. I'm not basing it on his performance today, have had this thought for a few weeks now. He was known as more of a hitter than a fielder in the minors, so I'm not surprised he has improved this year at the plate.

No he hasn't, the last 28 days he has a .681 OPS and the last 2 weeks .589. He had a good April.

Why are we DHing Caleb?

If anything, the pattern should be something like:

5-Games = Wieters catching, Paredes DH

2-Games = Caleb catching, Wieters DH

I want Caleb to get more playing time than a typical backup catcher (like Lavarnway currently), but the way to get him in is to spell Wieters.

Why are we DHing Caleb?

If anything, the pattern should be something like:

5-Games = Wieters catching, Paredes DH

2-Games = Caleb catching, Wieters DH

I want Caleb to get more playing time than a typical backup catcher (like Lavarnway currently), but the way to get him in is to spell Wieters.

I imagine they'll start off 50/50 but neither will DH. Then Wieters will take more starts as he gets up to speed.

Archived