Caleb for full-time DH vs LHP when Wieters returns

FanSince88

This is what I think will happen as well. It wouldn't make sense to sit Wieters against LHP when his OPS is 120 points higher against left handed pitching.

I think the idea is they would both hit against LHP's (one DH and one catch).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the idea is they would both hit against LHP's (one DH and one catch).

Right, but we all know that won't happen. I was basing it on only one of them in the lineup. The poster I was replying to was also going off of that assumption, I believe.

Right, but we all know that won't happen. I was basing it on only one of them in the lineup. The poster I was replying to was also going off of that assumption, I believe.

Correct. I still consider the OP's point as valid.

Travis Snider has a higher career wOBA vs lefties than Caleb does. Let's stop overreacting to a hot month, okay?

Every inexplicable, 1-in-1000, late career surge begins with a hot month. Any day now Max Mercy is going to remember that it was Caleb Joseph who struck out the Whammer by those train tracks.

Something often overlooked is that the PITCHING seemed to get significantly better last season after Wieters went down and Caleb started catching regularly. The kid calls a great game and I'm worried that even though Wieters had a rep for doing the same, that most of the pitchers are now on the same wave length as Caleb and it might not be such a smooth transition going to back to Wieters for most of the starts.

Every inexplicable, 1-in-1000, late career surge begins with a hot month. Any day now Max Mercy is going to remember that it was Caleb Joseph who struck out the Whammer by those train tracks.

And the 999 other times it is fools gold, and you end up playing a guy a bunch at DH who has negative offensive value trying to see if you're the lucky lottery winner.

We have access to advanced stats for this very reason. They can help tell us when breakouts are real. Caleb has a .321 BABIP this season, compared to a .246 last year. Which one do you think is more accurate for a not that fast fly ball hitter?

No hayseed ever struck out the Whammer. Ever!

And the 999 other times it is fools gold, and you end up playing a guy a bunch at DH who has negative offensive value trying to see if you're the lucky lottery winner.

We have access to advanced stats for this very reason. They can help tell us when breakouts are real. Caleb has a .321 BABIP this season, compared to a .246 last year. Which one do you think is more accurate for a not that fast fly ball hitter?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Joseph's MLB line is .227/.295/.381. He's 29. Odds are reasonable that he'll trend towards that career mark, and that's not something you really want at DH if you can help it.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Joseph's MLB line is .227/.295/.381. He's 29. Odds are reasonable that he'll trend towards that career mark, and that's not something you really want at DH if you can help it.

In 2013, that probably would have been better than what they got out of the DH that season. :)

I'm not sure 117 MLB games is enough to derive a sample size that one should have a lot of confidence in.

I'd settle for his career minor league line (.753).

I'm not sure 117 MLB games is enough to derive a sample size that one should have a lot of confidence in.

I'd settle for his career minor league line (.753).

Sure. But most of his minor league career line is as a older-than-league, repeating-league AA player. It would be quite amazing if he was able to produce at a mark equal to that in the majors.

Archived