Caleb for full-time DH vs LHP when Wieters returns

FanSince88

Why are we DHing Caleb?

If anything, the pattern should be something like:

5-Games = Wieters catching, Paredes DH

2-Games = Caleb catching, Wieters DH

I want Caleb to get more playing time than a typical backup catcher (like Lavarnway currently), but the way to get him in is to spell Wieters.

No way Wieters does that. Never did it before the injury.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone just assumes we are getting pre-injury Weiters. This guy didn't get a hit in spring training. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits for around a .600 OPS. I hope I'm wrong. Joseph has been one of the O's better hitters, which isn't saying much. We don't want to add a black hole at catcher to the black holes in LF and RF.

Everyone just assumes we are getting pre-injury Weiters. This guy didn't get a hit in spring training. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits for around a .600 OPS. I hope I'm wrong. Joseph has been one of the O's better hitters, which isn't saying much. We don't want to add a black hole at catcher to the black holes in LF and RF.

Yep, they will soon find out. People also assume his D will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, they will soon find out. People also assume his D will be great.

Sounds like you guys are making the assumptions. I doubt anybody assumes somebody coming off that type of an injury for that long of a time period is going to be just gravy.

Why not? If Wieters gets hurt during a game, the designated hitter is allowed to sub in for him. Your pitcher would have to bat the rest of the game, but in that unlikely scenario it's only one game and they can call the next guy up the following day.
I don't.really disagree. Buck does though.

What??? You can't question a manager. You're just a lowly fan who knows little if anything compared to people play or coach players professionally. We are but dilettantes in a world of those much, much wiser than us fools.

Reimold, however, is probably a good choice to DH. Not Joseph, Reimold. Is Reimold on the roster?

I think Caleb starts against lefties and day games. At the end of the day, he is going to catch a lot of games even when Wieters is back. More of a platoon than a "backup".

But Wieters also hits left handed pitching much better.

Caleb has a nice .821 OPS against lefties so far this year, but it is based on a microscopic sample of 28 PA.

I'd like to see him keep getting playing time and all, but I'm not sure we should give him a regular role like that until we at least see more data. I hope we keep running him out there at catcher to be honest, until Matt shows that he is 100%.

Why not? If Wieters gets hurt during a game, the designated hitter is allowed to sub in for him. Your pitcher would have to bat the rest of the game, but in that unlikely scenario it's only one game and they can call the next guy up the following day.

Don't tell that to Sam Perlozzo. For a while when the O's had Javy Lopez, Sam would carry a non-hitting 3rd catcher on a 4- or 5-man bench just so he could DH Javy without worrying about losing the DH in just such a scenario. Burned a roster spot as an emergency contingency to avoid losing the DH for a few innings. Madness.

I think it could be a platoon based on factors other than pitcher handedness.

This is what I think will happen as well. It wouldn't make sense to sit Wieters against LHP when his OPS is 120 points higher against left handed pitching.

Caleb has a nice .821 OPS against lefties so far this year, but it is based on a microscopic sample of 28 PA.

I'd like to see him keep getting playing time and all, but I'm not sure we should give him a regular role like that until we at least see more data. I hope we keep running him out there at catcher to be honest, until Matt shows that he is 100%.

Pertty sure his track record on the minors shows him being much better against LHP's.

Archived