Zach Britton is a stud

brianod

In a season that has been mostly frustrating, I don't have enough good things to say about this guy. Young, cost controlled, dominating, seems to fit in well with his teammates. We are very lucky to have him and hopefully we'll have him for a long time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to give a special shout out for O'Day as well. Worked out of a bases loaded, no out jam that he created in the win against Tampa leading to J. J.'s walkoff - possibly the most exciting game we have played this year. Then, following a bad losing streak, completely bails out Chen from 2nd and 3rd-nobody out. That is some massive testicular fortitude in the biggest spots for our last two wins.

I want to give a special shout out for O'Day as well. Worked out of a bases loaded, no out jam that he created in the win against Tampa leading to J. J.'s walkoff - possibly the most exciting game we have played this year. Then, following a bad losing streak, completely bails out Chen from 2nd and 3rd-nobody out. That is some massive testicular fortitude in the biggest spots for our last two wins.

I'm trying not to fall in love with O'Day, I learned my lesson with Andrew Miller:) But, you are right, he is also a stud and seems like a good guy.

Not a chance in the world.

More likely to trade him to someone that can afford him.

I may be naive but I'm hoping we can afford him long term. It would be nice to have one position solid among all the fluidity.

Not good. We could attempt to lock him in long term. Boras might accept security for a closer over eventual top dollar. Another tough call.

You know what bothers me about signing Zach long term? Above and beyond the normal relief pitcher stuff?

The fact that MLB is looking at the expanding strike zone.

You know what bothers me about signing Zach long term? Above and beyond the normal relief pitcher stuff?

The fact that MLB is looking at the expanding strike zone.

That is counter intuitive, why would they do that when offense is way down since the steroid era? Not that they wouldn't, but honestly, I don't think that's needed at this time.

That is counter intuitive, why would they do that when offense is way down since the steroid era? Not that they wouldn't, but honestly, I don't think that's needed at this time.

Heh.

Read again.

I said they were looking at the expanding strike zone. Not they were looking at expanding the strike zone.

The strike zone has grown, particularly at the bottom edge, in the last few years. If they make an effort to shrink it then someone like Zach could be in trouble. If his sinker isn't called a strike then batters won't swing and he's done.

Had to reread the strike zone thing too. But I got ya. I'd like to see Britton throw more innings than your standard closer. Especially since he's a super 2. He's going to get pricey. He needs to be over 70 innings like last year and not around the 50-60 that closers tend to have. Heck a part of me wants to see what he would do going back to being a starter.

I'm wondering if they will move him back to the rotation once his salary becomes to expensive.

Maybe Britton replaces Chen next year? Brings up the old question, what is more valuable? A lock down bullpen or an effective left handed starter in the AL East. Not an easy choice.

Archived