Zach Britton is a stud

brianod

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Throwing the sinker 83% of the time, is not going to work for a SP going through the lineup 3-4 times.

Tell that to Bartolo Colon!

But seriously, there are plenty of guys that throw 70% plus two seamers, and most of those aren't on par with ZBs amazing cutter.

I'm certainly not saying it would be painless.

Tell that to Bartolo Colon!

But seriously, there are plenty of guys that throw 70% plus two seamers, and most of those aren't on par with ZBs amazing cutter.

I'm certainly not saying it would be painless.

I would rather work on developing the other young arms, the one that will be around for some time.

Since we're here and all friends (RIGHT?!?) I'd like to point out something that I find awesome. From Shane Ryan:

Justin Masterson, Indians. Quick lesson on what we mean when we measure “vertical movement.” While horizontal movement is easy — does the ball go left or right? — gravity makes measuring the y-axis a bit more complicated. So instead of simply looking at how high or low the pitch goes, PITCHf/x takes gravity out of the equation and measures how high or low a ball goes versus a pitch with no spin thrown at the same speed. Since all fastballs have backspin, all fastballs have a positive value, i.e., they “rise” compared to a spinless pitch (even though they sink relatively, due to gravity). Some rise more than others, and some are nearly straight. But all of them have positive values … except one. Somehow Masterson’s sinker, alone among its kind, has negative vertical movement. Unlike all the other sinkers in the game, his actually sinks, which is supposed to be impossible for a pitch with backspin. And while that probably means he puts some topspin on the ball like a slider, I reject that explanation and attribute this to MAGIC:

AnimatedInsecureAustralianshelduck.gif

It did in 2011. And he does have other pitches. But what is your alternative when he gets too expensive?

Odd, when I look at his page at Brooks Baseball it shows his sinker usage in 2011 ranged from 34.43%-49.15% (by month).

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcome.php?player=502154&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=06/05/2015&s_type=2

Of course I am sure your memory of what he used is a lot more accurate then some website.

Well you may not be able to afford him next year, so are you just non tendering him?

He should have some degree of trade value.

I think the demand for him would be greater then it was for Johnson for instance.

I would only non-tender a player if I couldn't make a trade. With a trade you control where he goes.

Well you may not be able to afford him next year, so are you just non tendering him?

Good question, and one that doesn't get answered until next season.

hell, he could pull a TJ in August, not saying or hoping he does, but let's worry about that bridge when the time comes.

Right now, we are still in this thing, DD can make some roster tweeks and they catch a winner streak and start winning the series and they are back in it.

Good question, and one that doesn't get answered until next season.

hell, he could pull a TJ in August, not saying or hoping he does, but let's worry about that bridge when the time comes.

Right now, we are still in this thing, DD can make some roster tweeks and they catch a winner streak and start winning the series and they are back in it.

Way to dodge the question.

No Dodge, hard to answer, because its based on so many variables. Are you 10 games in front, or 20 games in back and what is being offered?
It's not rocket science, well maybe for you. Assuming Britton has a good year, what do you do when Britton becomes too expensive for a RP? Any baseball question has variables. Jim Johnson was a 10M closer and we got Weeks in return. I suggest if you trade him it should probably be this winter when he is still affordable and has peak value.

Archived