Its time to promote Chris Parmelee (Activated, Chen to Frederick)

wildcard

Lough or Snider is going to have to be moved at some point if the want to keep Parmelee on the roster. I don't see them going with a short bullpen for too long. Maybe we can get a decent bullpen arm for one of them? I would dump either for a C level prospect honestly.

I don't think having a backup CF on the roster is such a huge deal. Adam plays everyday and you can slide Nolan over for part of a game if you have to in the event of an injury. Still, my preference would be to unload Snider because he's more redundant on this team than Lough.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong. What if Parmelee is not intended to play RF at all?

If they DFA or trade Paredes tomorrow, Parmelee can DH against RHP and back up Davis at first (replacing Pearce in that role). He can even get some starts there, with Davis DHing. This would give the team some indication as to whether or not Parmelee should be considered a replacement candidate for Davis next season.

Then, when Schoop returns, they can DFA or trade either Young or Pearce. That would leave the position players as:

C - Wieters, Joseph

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

LF - Reimold

CF - Jones

RF - Snider (vs. RHP) or Pearce/Young (vs LHP)

DH - Parmelee

UTI - Flaherty, Lough

Of course, this is probably wrong.

Good thoughts and analysis as usual sir.

I don't think it is so far-fetched. I also don't think you meant DFA but trade Jimmy, it's possible.

My only concern is that there is no way they believe Reinold will stay healthy. They need a significant backup plan there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if they jettison a bullpen arm for now to carry him. But seems silly to carry so many bats that won't get much playing time.

Tell that to 1983. :) I don't know how Buck plans on using everyone, but it used to be commonplace, standard operating procedure to carry seven bench players. But back then they had these things call "pinch hitting" and "pinch running" and "platooning" and "defensive substitutions. Now we have games where they use 6 relievers each for 8 pitches, which seemed completely silly 30 years ago. I don't think the usefulness of offensive/defensive subs ever went away, it was just overcome by relievers.

I think Roch is right, Wright is the obvious choice, he goes and they carry and extra bat for a few days and then another decision will have to be made.

I know people are saying Snider or Lough.

Paredes has gone cool, and it would not surprise me, nor am I calling for it to be him, just saying, it wouldn't surprise me.

He's certainly not swinging the bat like he was but I think I saw where he was 5-12 so he seems to have come around a little. Buck keeps starting him so I think he still believes in him. Plus, Paredes is 26 and has 4-5 years of service time left. I'd be very suprised if he's the one to go. Reimold is getting everyday starts in the OF. That leaves Pearce, Young, Snider, Lough, and Parmelee for the other spot. Of that group, Parmelee and Snider are the most redundant, IMO.

Eventually, assuming Schoop comes back, two of that group (including Paredes) have to go.

Does Paredes have options, I wasn't saying DFA him, nor was I giving up on him, just talking about roster space until Schoop comes back.

Not sure why people assume DFA means released. A team has a week to trade a player after he's been DFA'd, as happened with De Aza. DFA-ing a player focuses attention on that player. For a guy like Parades, who makes the minimum, it could be a good way to attract a trade partner who does not want to miss out by someone else claiming him on waivers. I don't think he's worth a lot, because he is inconsistent at the plate and has no position to play, but he might bring back something.

Not sure why people assume DFA means released. A team has a week to trade a player after he's been DFA'd, as happened with De Aza. DFA-ing a player focuses attention on that player. For a guy like Parades, who makes the minimum, it could be a good way to attract a trade partner who does not want to miss out by someone else claiming him on waivers. I don't think he's worth a lot, because he is inconsistent at the plate and has no position to play, but he might bring back something.

Good point, might get something.

It is always possible that Parmelee is one who gets DFA'd in a couple of days. In doing so they could buy more time to move him elsewhere, a lot of talk about the Rays wanting him. Perhaps the Orioles want to keep him away from them.

It is always possible that Parmelee is one who gets DFA'd in a couple of days. In doing so they could buy more time to move him elsewhere, a lot of talk about the Rays wanting him. Perhaps the Orioles want to keep him away from them.

Anything is possible, but why create a locker for him?

Anything is possible, but why create a locker for him?

In order to do all of this, they have to put him on the team. If they just release him he can go where he wants and maybe Tampa is waiting.

Somebody is going to have to go when Schoop gets back as well. Maybe they will try to be cute and use a 6 man pen some but they have to have an optional player to do that.

Archived