Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

". . .the Cubs have been indicating they still haven't been told by Baltimore what it would take to get this trade done."

That is too ridiculous to believe. Why don't they just ask?

I thought they was funny when I read that. We know what we want, and I'm sure they know what we want. I think it's more they don't want to jump.....yet!

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jayson Stark doesn't seem to be too confident that a trade will be done. Because of - you guessed it - Angelos

Now add in the fact that it's less than two weeks to Opening Day, and that The Angelos Factor could gum up these talks for who knows how long, even if they make progress.

This doesn't sound like an Angelos issue at all. It sounds like MacPhail still hasn't made up his mind which prospects he wants. It's highly unlikely that Angelos has a hand in that part. I read that as Stark speculating that if MacPhail ever gets around to deciding what he wants, Angelos might complicate things even further. If Angelos weren't willing to let MacPhail make the trade, the rumors wouldn't still be swirling. The scouts would have been called off long ago and someone would have said publicly that it wasn't going to happen.

Personally, I think it's about time for Angelos to step in and give MacPhail a deadline to get it done by or his permission expires until June. I also think the Cubs should move on because at this point this move could damage clubhouse chemistry than it would improve their lineup (not because of Roberts, but because of how Cubs players would react to the treatment of DeRosa). If they really need leadoff/2B help in mid season, chances are Roberts will still be out there.

I thought they was funny when I read that. We know what we want, and I'm sure they know what we want. I think it's more they don't want to jump.....yet!

They'll either cave or they won't, but AM will not look ridiculous either way. Furthermore, I don't think he'll care what anybody writes about him. I'm convinced that PGA has nothing to do with this. I've never been one to think that there are actual media biases out there against the O's, but maybe. At the least it's shoddy journalism.

I thought the point of all our scouts being in their camp was that we were evaluating their players. If we are still evaluating, how would the Cubs know for sure what we want? Maybe we have given them a proposal that is more than they're willing to give up, but if we're still looking at other guys and debating whether we'd take them instead, why would they be motivated to cave on what we really want. If MacPhail has made them a take it or leave it offer, it would seem to me he should pull his scouts out of their camp or at least only watch the players who are required to be in the deal for it to get done. :confused:

Why does it seem that everybody on this board thinks that whenever an ESPN reporter says something that they are lying or uniformed? I am pretty sure that they get paid what they are paid because of the fact that they have sources and are generally correct. Maybe the Cubs dont know what the price is.

I thought the point of all our scouts being in their camp was that we were evaluating their players. If we are still evaluating, how would the Cubs know for sure what we want? Maybe we have given them a proposal that is more than they're willing to give up, but if we're still looking at other guys and debating whether we'd take them instead, why would they be motivated to cave on what we really want. If MacPhail has made them a take it or leave it offer, it would seem to me he should pull his scouts out of their camp or at least only watch the players who are required to be in the deal for it to get done. :confused:
I would guess the Cubs have given them a list of players to choose from and the scouts are looking at the players on the list.

I agree with this. Hendry is thinking 1 for 3. MacPhail is think 1 for 5. Hendry thinks they might meet at 1 for 4. MacPhail is thinking 1 for 5 without any compromise.

What did MacPhail say getting the last two guys in the Bedard trade was like? "Getting water from a stone " I believe was the line.

This time it might work for MacPhail or it might be like Cincy were the two sides never agreed.

The same reason they have scouts at our games watching Roberts and Payton.......Scouting them!

Why does it seem that everybody on this board thinks that whenever an ESPN reporter says something that they are lying or uniformed? I am pretty sure that they get paid what they are paid because of the fact that they have sources and are generally correct. Maybe the Cubs dont know what the price is.

It's easy for the media to blame what they don't know, to be PGA interfering.

The Cubs know the price. Top prospects. Thus far they have chosen not to remove the untouchable tag on the players we want.

I would guess the Cubs have given them a list of players to choose from and the scouts are looking at the players on the list.

Which would contradict what Belkast said about them (the Cubs) knowing what it would take to get Roberts. Fans on both sides seem to be claiming that their guy has made a specific offer and it's all on the other guy to accept or decline. I think if that were the case the whole mess would be over by now. Clearly, both sides are waffling.

The ball is in The Cubs court. It kinda goes like this.....Roberts is under our control for 2 years. You can give us what we feel is good value, or we will just keep him. It doesn't hurt us to keep him. He is a great leadoff guy and good defensive player, great in the community, and really the face of our organization.! If you want him, you need to WOW us. It's really pretty simple.

Btw....You notice every time a trade isn't done fast, the media blames it on PGA. It has nothing to do with AM sticking to his guns????? It cracks me up.

So tell us who the Orioles want. Everytime AM is interviewed he says we are doing are do diligence in scouting the teams with what he calls surpluses of what he is looking for. In every Cubs spring training game there has been a Oriole scout in attendence. So it sounds like to me Am has not made up his mind yet IMO.

We heard that song and dance with the Bedard trade.

It's basically the default argument when a deal tends to drag along with this club, and really... from everything we have heard on this end, this year it has been unfounded.

We heard that song and dance with the Bedard trade.

It's basically the default argument when a deal tends to drag along with this club, and really... from everything we have heard on this end, this year it has been unfounded.

No i think it is a little bit different from what I read on here duirng all of the Bedard hoopla it was just holding out for a better offer and going for what was best. From what I understand from the Cubs stand point they dont know what the Orioles want. That is much different than we have said, "this is the price either pony up or leave the table" If Stark is saying that the Cubs people dont know what the Orioles want, then I believe him at face value. I dont really care about this much anymore, and I can understand where both sides are coming from.

For yall this is your last major trading chip unless Sherill is just sick (a distinct possibility) and someone needs him at the deadline

For the CUbs B-Rob is a luxury. As Callis said today in his chat on ESPN Roberts is, "not THAT much of an upgrade over DeRosa" (his emphasis)

I think this is just a silly game of poker

No i think it is a little bit different from what I read on here duirng all of the Bedard hoopla it was just holding out for a better offer and going for what was best. From what I understand from the Cubs stand point they dont know what the Orioles want. That is much different than we have said, "this is the price either pony up or leave the table" If Stark is saying that the Cubs people dont know what the Orioles want, then I believe him at face value. I dont really care about this much anymore, and I can understand where both sides are coming from.

For yall this is your last major trading chip unless Sherill is just sick (a distinct possibility) and someone needs him at the deadline

For the CUbs B-Rob is a luxury. As Callis said today in his chat on ESPN Roberts is, "not THAT much of an upgrade over DeRosa" (his emphasis)

I think this is just a silly game of poker

You really believe that?

So in 3 months time, you don't think that the O's have made an "offer" or "counteroffer"?

I could see someone saying "we don't know what the O's want among the guys we've made available." That would make sense. The O's not identifying any players at all makes none.

Archived