Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

Being frugal and sending cash with a player are not mutually exclusive.

For instance trading Payton + $3M for Ronny Cedeno would be both frugal (an immediate savings of $1.6M in '08) but also a smart baseball move (Cedeno fills a much greater need, plus is under control beyond '08).

And FWIW, MacPhail included something like $12M in the Sosa trade.

I agree with you on that point. If AM takes Marquis contract the Cubs will without a doubt give the Orioles a better suspect. That's how trades work you take the money we give you Ceda for example. Payton would be involved to so you talking 11 million difference in salary.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you on that point. If AM takes Marquis contract the Cubs will without a doubt give the Orioles a better suspect. That's how trades work you take the money we give you Ceda for example. Payton would be involved to so you talking 11 million difference in salary.

I'm just glad it seems like a trade is finally coming to fruition.

I hope some of you Cubbies stick around after the trade. We've had our disagreements with each other, but the banter has been a nice change of pace. :)

I hope some of you Cubbies stick around after the trade. We've had our disagreements with each other, but the banter has been a nice change of pace. :)

There doesn't seem to be much "coming to fruition" as it is both GM's running out of time before the season

I still am not high on this trade getting done

Bruce Levine was just on ESPN 1000 and he said the cubs have been talking with the angels over the past several days, but he said he didn't think anything was really happening there. I wonder if they were talking about Figgins? I think the cubs are getting impatient with the O's.

This is the kind of post that could lead to a tangent discussion such as a three-way deal with the O's, Angels, and Cubs. ;)

Not for nothing, but to me, the banter between Cubbies' fans and O's fans on OH seems to have been going on forever and ever and ever, on and on and on, without end......well, you get the picture. For the most part it has been really entertaining mind you, but still, would be nice now to engage on a new subject. :)

I can't wait until after the trade!! ;)

There doesn't seem to be much "coming to fruition" as it is both GM's running out of time before the season

I still am not high on this trade getting done

I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Still, as an O's fan, nothing surprises me anymore. ;)

I am defintely sticking around. I really enjoy this board and have fun with you diehard Oriole fans. I will be rooting for your Orioles all year.

This is the kind of post that could lead to a tangent discussion such as a three-way deal with the O's, Angels, and Cubs. ;)

Who would LAA want from CHC? Pitching? Marquis? I'm not sure they need anything else. I doubt they want a 'prospect' like Gallagher.

I'm sure there are a few guys the Cubs would take: Figgins for instance? That would kill a BRob deal but I don't know what LAA would want from them or what LAA would give up to get Marquis.

I think the Cubs would welcome a 3 way trade specially if they can get Figgins and Roberts. Maybe the Orioles could get Aybar in the deal.

I think the Cubs would welcome a 3 way trade specially if they can get Figgins and Roberts. Maybe the Orioles could get Aybar in the deal.

With Lackey out until May and Escobar also hurting, the Angels might be looking for a Dempster or Marquis...

Who would LAA want from CHC? Pitching? Marquis? I'm not sure they need anything else. I doubt they want a 'prospect' like Gallagher.

I'm sure there are a few guys the Cubs would take: Figgins for instance? That would kill a BRob deal but I don't know what LAA would want from them or what LAA would give up to get Marquis.

Possibly Willits might become available. Marquis pitches today and there will be plenty of scouts there per Bruce Levine. If anyone is interested if you have Direct Tv the Cubs will be on channel 640 at 3pm central time.

With Lackey out until May and Escobar also hurting, the Angels might be looking for a Dempster or Marquis...

They still have Garland, Santana, Weaver and good young pitchers

I doubt they'll be quick to trade Figgins for a Marq/Demp when they wanted Aram at the beginning of the offseason

Archived