Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

No i think it is a little bit different from what I read on here duirng all of the Bedard hoopla it was just holding out for a better offer and going for what was best. From what I understand from the Cubs stand point they dont know what the Orioles want. That is much different than we have said, "this is the price either pony up or leave the table" If Stark is saying that the Cubs people dont know what the Orioles want, then I believe him at face value. I dont really care about this much anymore, and I can understand where both sides are coming from.

For yall this is your last major trading chip unless Sherill is just sick (a distinct possibility) and someone needs him at the deadline

For the CUbs B-Rob is a luxury. As Callis said today in his chat on ESPN Roberts is, "not THAT much of an upgrade over DeRosa" (his emphasis)

I think this is just a silly game of poker

The Cubs want Roberts there is no doubt about that. The Orioles want pitching in return there is no doubt about that. So you have to take AM at his word that he is doing his do diligence in scouting the young pitchers his is looking for. Hendry wants a deal done sooner rather then later so if a deal is not done soon I think Hendry takes his trade chips elsewere and gets a deal done. Hendry said on Monday he will make a deal it's a matter for who. So I have to take Hendry at his word also.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really believe that?

So in 3 months time, you don't think that the O's have made an "offer" or "counteroffer"?

I could see someone saying "we don't know what the O's want among the guys we've made available." That would make sense. The O's not identifying any players at all makes none.

I think what I said makes some sense if thats whats being reported by national baseball writers who have a pretty good reputation. Jayson Stark isnt exactly Ben Maller or anything. I tend to trust him and if he says that the CUbs dont know what the Orioles want then I tend to believe that.

I think what I said makes some sense if thats whats being reported by national baseball writers who have a pretty good reputation. Jayson Stark isnt exactly Ben Maller or anything. I tend to trust him and if he says that the CUbs dont know what the Orioles want then I tend to believe that.
Dave Kaplan of Wgn radio just said he has talked to people who say Hendry will give his top prospects up for Roberts and is just waiting to here from AM. The Orioles have had 2 scouts there for 2 weeks and are there again for tonights game. The ball is in AM,s court. The Cubs want Roberts and are willing to give up whatever it takes. The only guy that wouldn't be in the deal would be Pie. Kaplan has talked to scouts who he trusts that say a deal will get done.

No i think it is a little bit different from what I read on here duirng all of the Bedard hoopla it was just holding out for a better offer and going for what was best. From what I understand from the Cubs stand point they dont know what the Orioles want. That is much different than we have said, "this is the price either pony up or leave the table" If Stark is saying that the Cubs people dont know what the Orioles want, then I believe him at face value. I dont really care about this much anymore, and I can understand where both sides are coming from.

For yall this is your last major trading chip unless Sherill is just sick (a distinct possibility) and someone needs him at the deadline

For the CUbs B-Rob is a luxury. As Callis said today in his chat on ESPN Roberts is, "not THAT much of an upgrade over DeRosa" (his emphasis)

I think this is just a silly game of poker

Amen to that-Roberts isn't that big of an upgrade

I do love when people bring up the WARP3 argument though, considering it's based on PA's and if you equalize Roberts and Derosa to 600 PA's, they're about .5 apart, not much at all...and in '06 Derosa was actually better by about the same amount

I've felt this trade wouldn't happen (at least with the Cubs) for about 2 months now, and I'm not sure I like the price, I think Balt. fans would love to keep Roberts and I hope they do get their wish

Amen to that-Roberts isn't that big of an upgrade

I do love when people bring up the WARP3 argument though, considering it's based on PA's and if you equalize Roberts and Derosa to 600 PA's, they're about .5 apart, not much at all...and in '06 Derosa was actually better by about the same amount

I've felt this trade wouldn't happen (at least with the Cubs) for about 2 months now, and I'm not sure I like the price, I think Balt. fans would love to keep Roberts and I hope they do get their wish

That's because DeRosa has never been an everyday player and he is like 33 years old. BTW, I am a Balt. fan who wants to trade Roberts. I love him as a leadoff hitter and 2B, but we need good young players.

Dave Kaplan of Wgn radio just said he has talked to people who say Hendry will give his top prospects up for Roberts and is just waiting to here from AM. The Orioles have had 2 scouts there for 2 weeks and are there again for tonights game. The ball is in AM,s court. The Cubs want Roberts and are willing to give up whatever it takes. The only guy that wouldn't be in the deal would be Pie. Kaplan has talked to scouts who he trusts that say a deal will get done.

Thanks for keeping us up to the minute. Definitely seems this whole thing is coming close...to closure...

When it does finally happen, Cubs fans can return to cheer their team on to vistory - we'll hopefully be in a similar position in 3-4 years...

Thanks for keeping us up to the minute. Definitely seems this whole thing is coming close...to closure...

When it does finally happen, Cubs fans can return to cheer their team on to vistory - we'll hopefully be in a similar position in 3-4 years...

Your welcome I think this trade gets done soon.

If that is the caase then the Cubs are stupid for allowing this to go on. I do not believe that the Cubs do not know what AM wants. Get serious, Hendry knows exactly what AM wants, he just not want to give up the exact package. I am sure there are names agreed on, but the quantity has not been agreed on. I listened to AM last Sunday and he mentioned that the Orioles were not closed for business in the OF. I think he wants Tyler COlvin in with Ceda, Gallagher, Veal and Cedeno. Roberts and Payton would go back. Hendry is balking at the fifth player. Jayson Stark sells his themes on ESPN. The Orioles have been a joke for years (obviously) and he is going with that when discussing the trade.

I have heard that it is likely going to be 5 for 2...We are likely getting Marquis, Veal, Cedeno and Gallagher...BRob and Payton will go to the Cubs.

I have heard conflicting reports on the 5th player....Ceda has apparently been offered more than once but I am not sure if he is on the table at this point.

Other than that, the 5th player is the hold up and no one seems certain which direction AM is trying to go with that player.

To clarify, I'm not criticising you. I'm saying that without any context, what Stark is saying doesn't make sense. What is the dialogue about if the O's are not making their wishes known? It's not even a matter of defending the Orioles. There's just a gap in the logic.

If that is the caase then the Cubs are stupid for allowing this to go on. I do not believe that the Cubs do not know what AM wants. Get serious, Hendry knows exactly what AM wants, he just not want to give up the exact package. I am sure there are names agreed on, but the quantity has not been agreed on. I listened to AM last Sunday and he mentioned that the Orioles were not closed for business in the OF. I think he wants Tyler COlvin in with Ceda, Gallagher, Veal and Cedeno. Roberts and Payton would go back. Hendry is balking at the fifth player. Jayson Stark sells his themes on ESPN. The Orioles have been a joke for years (obviously) and he is going with that when discussing the trade.

This Cubs fan would hope Hendry gets his pink slip before making this deal.

Hendry is not holding out because of a 5th player. AM has his scouts there scouting Cubs players. Who cares what Stark says I never pay attention to him. I'm going by what Lou is saying as well as Hendry. Hendry has said he could have made a couple trades but he is holding out for the best player available. I am not a genius but without Hendry mentioning any names I think we know who he is talking about. Am has said numerous times they are doing there do diligence in scouting teams that have surpluses of what he is looking for. Hence he is scouting the Cubs to see what young arms he would like. I take AM at his word.

I have heard that it is likely going to be 5 for 2...We are likely getting Marquis, Veal, Cedeno and Gallagher...BRob and Payton will go to the Cubs.

I have heard conflicting reports on the 5th player....Ceda has apparently been offered more than once but I am not sure if he is on the table at this point.

Other than that, the 5th player is the hold up and no one seems certain which direction AM is trying to go with that player.

What are the choices?

Can he just not make up his mind or are all the good pieces off the table? (you said that Ceda might not be on the table now)

I totally agree with you.

Archived