Looking forward to Game 1 of the 2031 ALCS

JR Oriole

I will never forget how awful I felt in 1997 when Marquis Grissom hit that homer and literally deflated an entire fanbase convinced that we had the best team in baseball. About a week later, Tony Fernandez finished the job and it would start the longest 14 years in Orioles history. I felt a very similar sickness when Alex Gordon hit that homer in Game 1 last year....just completely deflating and killing the ridiculously good mojo we had all year. And we were never the same team again. Instead of building on that team and trying to go for it to bring home the first World Series APPEARANCE in 32 years, we approached the offseason with the apparent goal of making the team worse. To me, it very much felt like we just didn't try. So I suppose with this season appearing over and all of the talk that the next few years will be bad, I can always look forward to another 17 year gap between ALCS appearances and hopefully by then, we won't be facing some damn team of destiny that chooses us as its next victim.

I will never forget how awful I felt in 1997 when Marquis Grissom hit that homer and literally deflated an entire fanbase convinced that we had the best team in baseball. About a week later, Tony Fernandez finished the job and it would start the longest 14 years in Orioles history. I felt a very similar sickness when Alex Gordon hit that homer in Game 1 last year....just completely deflating and killing the ridiculously good mojo we had all year. And we were never the same team again. Instead of building on that team and trying to go for it to bring home the first World Series APPEARANCE in 32 years, we approached the offseason with the apparent goal of making the team worse. To me, it very much felt like we just didn't try. So I suppose with this season appearing over and all of the talk that the next few years will be bad, I can always look forward to another 17 year gap between ALCS appearances and hopefully by then, we won't be facing some damn team of destiny that chooses us as its next victim.

Great post, lol. I'm going to be really old at that point, I'll need a bunch of day games in those playoffs as I probably won't be able to stay awake that late.

Archived