Jaylen Ferguson

MachoMachadoMan

After an atrocious start, 9th round pick, CF Jaylen Ferguson has shown some life the last two weeks in the GCL. A HS pick with good size and projection, Ferguson struggled mightily in his first few weeks but is turning it on.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=663482#/career/R/hitting/2015/ALL

He has a hit already today and is batting .345 with 4 walks, just 5 Ks, and 4 SBs in this last 10 games. There hasn't been much in the way of power so far, but for an 18 year old in his first taste of pro ball, I'm just happy to see he appears to have made some adjustments to the league.

I'm guessing he'll start next year in Aberdeen. Just one of a number of young HS and teenage international signees that make the GCL squad a fun one to follow this summer.

I have been following the recent improvement in JF's stats and the recent 10 game stretch is impressive. One thing to keep in mind with Ferguson is that he was 17 on draft day and just turned 18 in the last two weeks. He is more than a year younger than Heinrich.

Let's see how Ferguson does this last month in the GCL and in instructionals and how he shows up for Spring training. I am sure the organization would love for him to get to Delmarva next season if possible though Aberdeen seems a likely destination.

I have been following the recent improvement in JF's stats and the recent 10 game stretch is impressive. One thing to keep in mind with Ferguson is that he was 17 on draft day and just turned 18 in the last two weeks. He is more than a year younger than Heinrich.

Let's see how Ferguson does this last month in the GCL and in instructionals and how he shows up for Spring training. I am sure the organization would love for him to get to Delmarva next season if possible though Aberdeen seems a likely destination.

Saw him today and there is improvement, but still really struggles with anything off speed. A very good outfielder from the times I've seen him, hopefully the bat continues to progress

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scouted by young Showalter, so I hear.

* Center fielder Jaylen Ferguson, the Orioles' ninth-round pick this year out of Arlington (Texas) High School, had a double and triple yesterday for the Gulf Coast League team.

Showalter's son, Nathan, scouted Ferguson. The Orioles hired him in February as an area scout working in North Texas and Southern Arkansas.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/08/leftovers-for-breakfast-37.html

Apologies if deflecting this thread from Ferguson, but the other 17 year old drafted this year (and still not 18) on the GCL roster is Seamus Curran. Curran is improving rapidly on his July numbers in August with a near halving of his K/PA ratio and a nice improvement in his OBP. Curran is currently batting about .320 in his last 10 with an obp that must be over .400.

Both Curran and Ferguson are finishing the season in nice form with good August numbers. Not sure if either of these guys can get to Delmarva next year, but I think there is nice potential in this young duo.

Apologies if deflecting this thread from Ferguson, but the other 17 year old drafted this year (and still not 18) on the GCL roster is Seamus Curran. Curran is improving rapidly on his July numbers in August with a near halving of his K/PA ratio and a nice improvement in his OBP. Curran is currently batting about .320 in his last 10 with an obp that must be over .400.

Both Curran and Ferguson are finishing the season in nice form with good August numbers. Not sure if either of these guys can get to Delmarva next year, but I think there is nice potential in this young duo.

Yeah - I noticed Curran has been raking the last week. Would be nice if Mountcastle, Heinrich, Curran, and Ferguson could make the jump to Delmarva.

I think Mountcastle, Fenter, and maybe Heinrich head to Delmarva to start next year. McKenna, Curran, and Ferguson might get there by the end of the year but I think the O's would rather have them start at extended spring.

I think Mountcastle, Fenter, and maybe Heinrich head to Delmarva to start next year. McKenna, Curran, and Ferguson might get there by the end of the year but I think the O's would rather have them start at extended spring.

Curran's at least hitting with some pop, so I think he might have a better chance than Ferguson and some of the others.

Archived