Tyler Wilson and the 2015 Starting Staff....

EagleOriole

I am firmly convinced, more so than Mike Wright that Tyler Wilson can be an effective #4 starting pitcher. I think that the Orioles could let Chen walk and place Wilson in the rotation and be fine. But if the Orioles are looking to spend on a starter and they decide to keep Tillman, Jiminez, and obviously Gausman in there and sign a FA I think Wilson would make a great low cost replacement for Miguel Gonzalez. I love Miggy, but he is creeping towards FA, is getting expensive, and has not shown an ability to pitch deep into a season. Wilson reminds me a lot of Gonzalez as a starter and I would love to see him in the rotation next year.

How about Givens last night too? 1.1 IP and 3 Ks. Great young arm.

I am firmly convinced, more so than Mike Wright that Tyler Wilson can be an effective #4 starting pitcher. I think that the Orioles could let Chen walk and place Wilson in the rotation and be fine. But if the Orioles are looking to spend on a starter and they decide to keep Tillman, Jiminez, and obviously Gausman in there and sign a FA I think Wilson would make a great low cost replacement for Miguel Gonzalez. I love Miggy, but he is creeping towards FA, is getting expensive, and has not shown an ability to pitch deep into a season. Wilson reminds me a lot of Gonzalez as a starter and I would love to see him in the rotation next year.

How about Givens last night too? 1.1 IP and 3 Ks. Great young arm.

I sure hope so I think he and Wright can eventually take over the end of the rotation. I saw Wilson pitch at UVA a couple times smart player who won't try to go outside of himself.

I think a good team would have lit him up.

Like the Yankees - because he pitched 3.1 innings in relief against them - 0 ER.

Or the Jays - because he pitched 5.2 innings in relief against them - 1 ER.

I am sure he will have his ups and downs, but he can pitch at this level.

I think Wilson has a good head on his shoulders. He'll certainly be in the mix next year for a rotation. He reminds me a bit of pre-injury Brad Bergesen.

If you were Roy I'd say you just jinxed him. Hope he doesn't get hit in the shine with a line drive now. If so it's your fault.

Care to expand on why? For instance, did he leave a lot of pitches in bad spots? Pitch from behind and then groove fastballs? I'm curious. I saw a good number of grounders hit hard last night and I'd like to see more K, but that ground ball ratio was excellent and it was pretty clear that they were having trouble getting the ball in the air.

I saw a poised and completely baked young pitcher. Without outstanding stuff, but some guile. Think Miguel Gonzalez. He located well, and had the As swinging at pitcher's pitches. He kept his pitch count down and worked quickly and with confidence. He threw with conviction.

The kids did great last night. You can play the Oakland card, but Tyler also shut down Toronto in relief of Wright. So far he is as advertised. Just seems to know how to pitch, avoid mistakes, trust his stuff. I am very high on Tyler.

Givens looks great too. Last night was the first look I had gotten at his slider. His velocity has not been what folks have been saying (seems to be sitting 93-94 instead of 97) but effective enough.

As for 2016...I am of two minds about the pitching staff. On the one hand, I would like to see what the young, cost controlled guys can do, then use the excess money to extend Machado and/or bring in a position player. On the other hand, having at least two unproven guys (Gausman and Wilson) in the rotation and at least three more in the bullpen scares me to death (Givens replacing O'Day, Bundy as the longman, Drake replacing Hunter, and what do we do with Matusz?). Still, based on what is happening at Norfolk, I am more confident in our young pitchers than our young hitters.

I see why you say that, but his offspeed stuff is a lot better and he doesn't seem to rely on doing a lot of manipulation to get heavy sink IMO. It looks like Wilson throws a sinker almost naturally which is unusual for a righty. Bergesen was using his arm motion and hand a ton trying to get sink which scares me in a pitcher. I like that Wilson seemed to have a good CB, slider, and split/change last night, but he still made them show they could hit the fastball first. Having those pitches in his back pocket when things get tight is pretty huge. He clearly isn't a guy caught up in striking guys out which is very unusual for a guy who is basically auditioning for a bigger role.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that their repertoires are somewhat different. I was mostly referring to the fact that neither relies on strikeouts very much, both seek to induce ground balls, and both have pretty good command down in the zone (all past tense for Bergesen).

Wilson looked much better than Wright, with much less overpowering stuff.

He has a 88-90 sinker, which he locates well, a decent 83 mph change and a 79-80 mph curve.

So long as he's getting loads of groundballs and keeping his fastball low in the zone, he should be fine. His stuff definitely plays at this level.

As for 2016...I am of two minds about the pitching staff. On the one hand, I would like to see what the young, cost controlled guys can do, then use the excess money to extend Machado and/or bring in a position player. On the other hand, having at least two unproven guys (Gausman and Wilson) in the rotation and at least three more in the bullpen scares me to death (Givens replacing O'Day, Bundy as the longman, Drake replacing Hunter, and what do we do with Matusz?). Still, based on what is happening at Norfolk, I am more confident in our young pitchers than our young hitters.

I think you can count on Gausman more than you can count on Ubaldo...

I think a good team would have lit him up.

It's possible for the good offenses in baseball to knock him around a little, and he still be a number 4 starter. You don't usually expect your number 4 to go out there and have a ton of success against the best offenses in baseball, that's why they are a number 4.

Archived