Why are fans so eager to extend Machado?

winkies

According to DD's recent radio interview that has been posted here, they tried to extend Manny two years ago and were unsuccessful. I think the chances of extending him now are even worse. I will be very happily surprised if he's an Oriole beyond 2017.

Could not disagree more.

There is a number that Manny will happily sign for. Its a big number certainly and well deserved big number IMO.

If he is not on this team beyond 2017 then its the organizations fault as far as I am concerned. This is that once in a generation or two player that franchises get, you spend whatever the market dictates you have to in order to keep them because they are impossible to replace in terms of production and the general well being of the franchise. Even if it means you have to be more frugal in other areas you get it done.

If the O's paid him 10/300 million (which is far to much obviously), I could make a damn good case that in terms of production, driving fan interest, and a gazillion other little benefits a guy like him brings to a franchise (dudes love to play with these kinda of guys) he would be a good bet to be worth it in todays baseball economics.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because he's three years away from free agency, the team may be able to sign him a contract that pays him a little less than he would expect to make in his arbitration years and the first few years of free agency. Essentially the team would be providing Machado with financial security, and saving a little money in expectation.

Of course this only works if the team and Machado (or Machado's agent) roughly agree on what he's likely to make in arbitration and free agency...and if the team is willing to guarantee something not too far below what Machado would expect to make in arbitration and free agency.

I think fans are eager to extend him ASAP because (a) they want Machado to remain an Oriole for the next 10 years, and (b) they don't think that the O's will sign him to a market value contract in 3 years.

Could not disagree more.

There is a number that Manny will happily sign for. Its a big number certainly and well deserved big number IMO.

If he is not on this team beyond 2017 then its the organizations fault as far as I am concerned. This is that once in a generation or two player that franchises get, you spend whatever the market dictates you have to in order to keep them because they are impossible to replace in terms of production and the general well being of the franchise. Even if it means you have to be more frugal in other areas you get it done.

If the O's paid him 10/300 million (which is far to much obviously), I could make a damn good case that in terms of production, driving fan interest, and a gazillion other little benefits a guy like him brings to a franchise (dudes love to play with these kinda of guys) he would be a good bet to be worth it in todays baseball economics.

You may disagree, but I think you're wrong. I think he wants to play for one of the biggest contracts ever received by a player and in one of the handful of major arenas. And, he wants to do it at age 26. I think he'll get his wish.

I'll enjoy watching him while he's here.

Is that opinion based on the fact you believe he wont sign regardless of what we throw at him or are you more concerned that the team will not offer him a competitive deal?

You may disagree, but I think you're wrong. I think he wants to play for one of the biggest contracts ever received by a player and in one of the handful of major arenas. And, he wants to do it at age 26. I think he'll get his wish.

You have anything at all other than you what you think to support this.

Personally I have agree with you on part of what you say. I don't think Manny is going to give this franchise a hometeam discount. I do think though he wants to be sooner rather than later though. If the O's come at him with some decent numbers I think they can reach a deal. If the O's think they are going to get him to sign a 6 or 7 year deal for 100 million...they are dreaming and yes he will hit the market. I gotta believe the team is smart enough to know what a guy like Manny is gonna cost.

This is his first full season. If he does this for two more years' date=' his value sky rockets more than it is now, especially if he shows the league his knees are healthy.[/quote']

1. He hasn't made through the season, yet.

2. Of course his value would increase because that would mean he'd be a consistent hitter and could stay healthy.

3. If he we sign him for 8 more years and he blows out another knee then we're screwed.

Is that opinion based on the fact you believe he wont sign regardless of what we throw at him or are you more concerned that the team will not offer him a competitive deal?

I don't think any offer from the O's will be enough. The math is really simple. If the O's are willing to pay X, then a NY or LA team will pay X+Y.

He's been dreaming of the day since he was a teenager, and at 23 years old, even though he's been through two surgeries, he thinks he is invincible. All kids that age do. A ballplayer doesn't reach Manny's level of ability by worrying about security. And at that age, loyalty is just an abstract concept. He's thinking big, as big as possible.

1. The sooner you do it, the more Manny benefits (paid more sooner) and it is likely much cheaper to do than each succeeding year.

2. My personal belief is that Manny is a complete and utter stud player. With 3 years of arbitration there is enough benefit by paying him more now for Manny to sign a deal. Wait till after next season and Manny may think....well geez if I ride this out for just two more years, I am gonna be a 200-300 million dollar man easily ...very easily.

In 3 years Manny, Harper, Trout, Goldschmidt and company will be the elite of the elite, you don't let those guys walk.

Pay that man his money.

[video=youtube_share;1jUBbCgMWmE]

2. Of course his value would increase because that would mean he'd be a consistent hitter and could stay healthy.

3. If he we sign him for 8 more years and he blows out another knee then we're screwed.

Pretty sure he only has the two knees.

If we don't and he is wearing those ugly pinstripes or that stupid hat with a B on it in 2018 then we royally screwed

Sometimes you have to have a little faith and just jump in. Particularly when it comes to generational talents like Manny.

I would offer him a Stanton-like deal immediately. Offer him 13 years, $350 million with an opt-out clause after six years. If Machado still turns that down than all hope is lost because he really doesn't want to be here after the next three years are up. I also wonder how much Machado is bothered by the fact that Hardy is so entrenched at shortstop. He might just want to move to a different team that gives him an opportunity to play that position.

Archived