Nestor banned from Camden Yards?

Hank Scorpio

Nestor lost being a journalist the day he organized a walkout at Camden Yards. He used his radio station and the stations website to organize the walkout. If he wants to go to the game, tell him to buy a ticket, I hear that single seat tickets are still available.

Now Nestor has to reap what he sowed...

I'll listen to this argument. There's definitely some merit to it.

Regardless, I also think it was a poor decision by the O's. What good can possibly come from provoking an already vocal media critic? It's just going to cause an already ugly PR mess to get even uglier. Like Aparicio said, credential or no credential, he's not going away.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno if all hell is breaking loose, but he's definitely tapping Maese's visibility to get his "story" out.

Hey Nestor, go watch the game at Squiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiires, buddy!!!!!!!!

I'm all for bashing Nestor, but no need to bring Squire's into this!

I'll listen to this argument. There's definitely some merit to it.

Regardless, I also think it was a poor decision by the O's. What good can possibly come from provoking an already vocal media critic? It's just going to cause an already ugly PR mess to get even uglier. Like Aparicio said, credential or no credential, he's not going away.

Good post.

But, sports radio stations around the country are always doing stunts against unpopular sports teams.

Philly stations used to do this stuff a lot against Braman, Detroit stations have had a field day with the Lions in recent years, etc...

Why continue to enflame those stations/media outlets who have access to a soapbox (airwaves) ?

This is crap. So are the O's going to deny media passes to everyone who rallies against the team? Tom Boswell? Are people in the media not allowed to have feeling about the state of the team?

This is horse sh** if you ask me.

Is this team run by communists or something?

This is crap. So are the O's going to deny media passes to everyone who rallies against the team? Tom Boswell? Are people in the media not allowed to have feeling about the state of the team?

Would you go to a media outlet for unbiased political news if it was openly giving money and ad space to one party and ignoring/attacking the other?

Should people in the "other" party be forced to give access to that media outlet, despite the lack of objectivity?

That is the issue. Boswell might attack the team, but he hasn't made public attempts to hurt the team other then through the press. Nestor has.

They don't see Nestor as "media" anymore. He doesn't report on the Os, he just attacks them. He says he doesn't go to the games, doesn't he? Then why does he care that they took his pass? Now, if they had banned him from entering, I could see being angered. But, Nestor does as much "reporting" on the Os as I do, and my media pass hasn't come in the mail yet.

Good post.

But, sports radio stations around the country are always doing stunts against unpopular sports teams.

Philly stations used to do this stuff a lot against Braman, Detroit stations have had a field day with the Lions in recent years, etc...

Why continue to enflame those stations/media outlets who have access to a soapbox (airwaves) ?

I don't think anyone is saying it is a SMART thing to do :P

However, Nestor, as I and others have said, is reaping what he has sown. He wasn't acting like a journalist, so is isn't being treated like one.

Nestor is using his position in the media to make his own personal gain. He shouldn't be consider press anymore for the O's game.

Would you go to a media outlet for unbiased political news if it was openly giving money and ad space to one party and ignoring/attacking the other?

Should people in the "other" party be forced to give access to that media outlet, despite the lack of objectivity?

That is the issue. Boswell might attack the team, but he hasn't made public attempts to hurt the team other then through the press. Nestor has.

Does Nestor call on people to not go to the games? I haven't listened to NST at all in the last few years, but even at the protest, he was a paying customer.

So unless he is telling people to not go to games, then I don't see what the problem is.

They don't see Nestor as "media" anymore. He doesn't report on the Os, he just attacks them. He says he doesn't go to the games, doesn't he? Then why does he care that they took his pass? Now, if they had banned him from entering, I could see being angered. But, Nestor does as much "reporting" on the Os as I do, and my media pass hasn't come in the mail yet.

Ding ding! Give this man a prize.

Personally I don't think this is the smartest thing the O's have ever done, but it's a decision they have a right to make.

Does Nestor call on people to not go to the games? I haven't listened to NST at all in the last few years, but even at the protest, he was a paying customer.

So unless he is telling people to not go to games, then I don't see what the problem is.

He can still be a paying customer. He cannot still be a media member. And, if he wanted to still be a media member, he could have stopped whining and started reporting. I don't even see this as a dumb decision. He has been whining and bashing the Os for years. What will this change? He'll still do it. He just won't do it with a media credential, which he doesn't deserve.

Well, in a way, that's what the walkout was.

This is all really silly, really, the two of them bumping chests like this, but Nestor has made it personal, and the organization has responded. The fact that the first news from the WNST camp over stated what happened is more testament to the overall problem.

Of course they're not going to shut Nestor up, but they can surely deny him access to the press box. Which they have.

Sheldon:

I see where you mentioned my situation twice in the closed thread. There is a big difference from me getting my credentials pulled at Frederick and Bowie and Nestor.

I merely qouted a manager who came to me as a reporter about Bowie using players for early morning baseball clinics and how this was effecting the players performance for games. The manager also said he originally withheld use of the players until Bowie paid them more. The manager (Don Werner) also provided profit and costs numbers I used attributing them to him after verifying. The only mention about Frederick was...that was also holding similar early morning clinics. The Frederick front office was already upset with me for quoting there manager about the field conditions and the cancellation of Keys games for unplayable field conditions on nice days. Comcast was making a lot of money on these clinics and a manager questioned that to the press. Comcast did not appreciate the comments and thoughts of the manager being made public.

However I never tried to lead a boycot of the teams. Big difference. I was doing my job providing information about the players and games...not trying to throw up protest lines at the front gate.

John Hoffmann

So who decides when a reporter's criticism of the Orioles is too much and the media should be denied access? Who's next to face the Orioles wrath? Is the Hangout reporters? Does Paul need to make his game recaps less critical? Maybe he should only do a recap if the Orioles win. :002_ssuprised:

The removal of Jon Miller as the voice of the O's, the radio station move from WBAL this year in favor of a less critical home station, and the withholding of media credentials, is sending those who report on the Orioles a message. Criticize us, and you will face retribution.

The Orioles can do what they want, but we as fans shouldn't condone it or tolerate this heavy handedness. Just as the Orioles have the right to do all the things they've done, we've got the right not to support the Orioles with our money.

Angelos is really short-sighted if he thinks that muting the critical reporting of the team will do anything more than make the situation worse.

So who decides when a reporter's criticism of the Orioles is too much and the media should be denied access? Who's next to face the Orioles wrath? Is the Hangout reporters? Does Paul need to make his game recaps less critical? Maybe he should only do a recap if the Orioles win. :002_ssuprised:

The removal of Jon Miller as the voice of the O's, the radio station move from WBAL this year in favor of a less critical home station, and the withholding of media credentials, is sending those who report on the Orioles a message. Criticize us, and you will face retribution.

The Orioles can do what they want, but we as fans shouldn't condone it or tolerate this heavy handedness. Just as the Orioles have the right to do all the things they've done, we've got the right not to support the Orioles with our money.

Angelos is really short-sighted if he thinks that muting the critical reporting of the team will do anything more than make the situation worse.

I agree. These are the same points that I have been attempting to make.

Some can't get past their dislike of Nestor to see the bigger issue- PA's extreme pettiness and his continued attempt to silence any criticism.

I guarantee if it was Tony or Paul that PA was singling out- the Nestor haters would be singing a different tune.

PA really thinks the world is his kingdom and he can just shut up whoever he wants.

But, it is ok this time, because it is Nestor ?:confused:

Archived