Will the Orioles be dealing with "Confederate money" this off-season?

mdbdotcom

After the O's went to the playoffs in 2012, folks got all jiggy over players being interested in playing for them again. Now that 2015 has turned into a stinker of a season and with Chris Davis and Wei-Yin Chen (the only two we are likely to miss) likely heading to greener pastures, will players the O's pursue in free agency (no, not the real big money guys) be less likely to sign with them? Will Baltimore become a destination of last resort again?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After the O's went to the playoffs in 2012, folks got all jiggy over players being interested in playing for them again. Now that 2015 has turned into a stinker of a season and with Chris Davis and Wei-Yin Chen (the only two we are likely to miss) likely heading to greener pastures, will players the O's pursue in free agency (no, not the real big money guys) be less likely to sign with them? Will Baltimore become a destination of last resort again?

The Red Sox sure have had trouble getting people to take their money.

Who has turned them down? Thanks.

I don't have the information in front of me, but for a while, Baltimore was on a slew of different FA (don't trade me there) lists. I heard that Adrian Beltre especially never wanted to be traded or signed in Baltimore. Apparently, Vlad Guerrero didn't want to be an Oriole either.

It was much worse in the dark times but I know Baltimore has a somewhat negative reputation because of the ownership.

MSK

I don't have the information in front of me, but for a while, Baltimore was on a slew of different FA (don't trade me there) lists. I heard that Adrian Beltre especially never wanted to be traded or signed in Baltimore. Apparently, Vlad Guerrero didn't want to be an Oriole either.

It was much worse in the dark times but I know Baltimore has a somewhat negative reputation because of the ownership.

MSK

I guess we will see in the offseason, I think if at least Davis resigns, then more FAs will come knocking

I doubt players and agents look at those two franchises in remotely the same ways.

Why, one, the New England one, is run by a despicable guy who gets rid of beloved employees and the other is run by so visionary sons of a guy who learned the hard way.

Idk if Boras will let him, though.

If we offer him the most money. Scott Boras will be glad to let him take it. But there will be a mystery team that wants to bid more. And the next closest bid will be 20 million less over the term. Because that's the way Scott rolls.

Archived