Hardy/Machado/Schoop

MarCakes21

Because a gold glove SS with Manny's bat is more valuable than a GG third baseman. SS is the single hardest position on the diamond to find plus offense. It's also the most important defensive position on the field (with CF being a close second). As good as Manny is at third, he is wasted there.

Wasted there? Don't think so. You still need a 3rd basemen to fill Manny's spot.

Would Manny be more valuable individually at SS, yes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because a gold glove SS with Manny's bat is more valuable than a GG third baseman. SS is the single hardest position on the diamond to find plus offense. It's also the most important defensive position on the field (with CF being a close second). As good as Manny is at third, he is wasted there.

So you put Manny at SS so you improve the offensive production at SS? Then put someone at 3B who may not be as good offensively and/or defensively? Seems counter productive.

I love Hardy. He looks like a great professional and is probably one of the better guys in the clubhouse. He's the type of guy you pull for.

But he just doesn't have a role on this team.

Best case scenario is he retires we pay him his money he's owed and he stays on the team as a coach. At this point I just don't have any interest in him playing another inning on the Orioles.

I love Hardy. He looks like a great professional and is probably one of the better guys in the clubhouse. He's the type of guy you pull for.

But he just doesn't have a role on this team.

Best case scenario is he retires we pay him his money he's owed and he stays on the team as a coach. At this point I just don't have any interest in him playing another inning on the Orioles.

I think there is a fair chance Hardy produces at a 2-3 win level over the reminder of the contract.

I think he is more hurt then done.

I think there is a fair chance Hardy produces at a 2-3 win level over the reminder of the contract.

I agree. But he can't stay healthy. I think when healthy JJ is still a top 5 SS. But his body is letting him down. Not sure at what 33, that will get much better. I hope it does. I really like JJ Hardy. Top notch human being.

He has two years left on his deal. If he can get to 2.5 WAR those two years then he probably adds maybe 1 win per season over a random SS that we would eventually pick up.

We're not expected to compete in the next two years anyways so his extra win seems a little irrelevant.

So we could move Manny to SS starting next year, but he could potentially outprice himself and be gone after 3 seasons too.

It's a tough situation, but I would move him to SS. Let him form the DP combo with his buddy Schoop and look for a 3B with power.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the league is quite filled with third baseman that are hitting. Not saying that we could find one instantly though.

So you put Manny at SS so you improve the offensive production at SS? Then put someone at 3B who may not be as good offensively and/or defensively? Seems counter productive.

No, I'm just telling you where Manny should ultimately be with JJ Hardy out of the equation. Would not be surprised to see JJ play 60 to 100 games next year and even less in 2017, so I might try to go get a third basemen in the offseason. Doesn't need to be a star, but someone who can play adequate defense and hit better than Hardy and Flaherty.

No, I'm just telling you where Manny should ultimately be with JJ Hardy out of the equation. Would not be surprised to see JJ play 60 to 100 games next year and even less in 2017, so I might try to go get a third basemen in the offseason. Doesn't need to be a star, but someone who can play adequate defense and hit better than Hardy and Flaherty.

By not moving Machado to SS and locking down the scarcest position in game we've neglected 3B. Now when our SS goes down and move the rightful SS from 3B we have an offensive hole at 3B.

Should have paid more attention to positional scarcity.

3B is pretty bleak FA wise. The top 4 are 38 year old Aramis Ramirez, 37 year old Jaun Uribe then David Freese and Casey Mcgehee, who both have slg% below .400.

3B is pretty bleak FA wise. The top 4 are 38 year old Aramis Ramirez, 37 year old Jaun Uribe then David Freese and Casey Mcgehee, who both have slg% below .400.

We've never considered developing or looking for a 3B because we planned on Machado playing 162 at 3B. Only problem is Machado isn't a third baseman.

A guy like Freese on a cheap two year deal (2/10 or 2/12) wouldn't be bad. I would also explore trades.

Hardy replaces Flaherty as the utility infielder (when healthy).

Archived