Fun Facts: Don Stanhouse

Tony-OH

Fun Facts about Don "Fullpack" Stanhouse. What are yours?

1) Finished 3rd in the American League in both 1978 & 1979 in saves, recording 45 over that span, helping the Orioles capture the American League Championship in 1979. He was selected to the American League All-Star team in 1979.

2) Although an effective closer, Stanhouse had a reputation of walking batters he was not willing to face. Frequently his tactics would lead to dangerous situations in close games with multiple base-runners, and send the chain-smoking Weaver pacing back and forth in the dugout in agony. This resulted in Weaver nicknaming Stanhouse Fullpack, referring to the number of cigarettes consumed while watching him pitch.

3) Played 31 games at third base (.267/.337/.364/.700) his first year in the minors until being convinced to focus just on pitching.

4) Has a great bio on SABR http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/afc0b3d4

5) Walked more batters than he struck out in his career.

6) As of 2012, Don and Kyle Stanhouse live in Trophy Club, Texas with their son Duke. Daughter Kameryn is in advertising and marketing in New York City and their married daughter, Kelsey Heil, delivered their first grandchild in June of 2012.

2) Although an effective closer, Stanhouse had a reputation of walking batters he was not willing to face. Frequently his tactics would lead to dangerous situations in close games with multiple base-runners, and send the chain-smoking Weaver pacing back and forth in the dugout in agony. This resulted in Weaver nicknaming Stanhouse Fullpack, referring to the number of cigarettes consumed while watching him pitch.

He never gave in.

BostonBrawl1.jpg

I don't really remember Stanhouse at the time. I didn't know the whole team that well then. What I think about him is Dr. Unk's picture above and Manager's Corner...

Well Don Stanhouse was an [expletive deleted]! He had us in trouble, had the [expletive deleted] bases loaded, [expletive deleted] almost every [expletive deleted] time he went out there. He like ta ruin my health smokin' cigarettes and thank god we got Timmy Stoddard comin' in out da bullpen right now stickin' the bats up their [expletive deleted]s. And that's what it takes.

aka Full Pack, because Earl Weaver said he smoked a full pack of cigarettes every time he came into a game.

There was a rumor that the O's infield would gather around him while he snorted a little cocaine on the mound. It's a ridiculous idea, but it added to his mystique.

Archived