Cueto!!

Elon Os Fan

Wow, he's not even really a high strikeout pitcher.

Unfortunately for him he's a young pitcher on a team managed by Dusty Baker. Doesn't bode well for his future health.

I do agree that a package of Cueto, Votto, and any of a slew of other lesser guys would have been a phenomenal return for Bedard, maybe even better than what we ended up getting.

Excuse me while I pat myself on the back. I was worried that I might have drafted him too high in my keeper league. I was even more worried about starting him today. I had another option, and I thought about just letting him sit on the bench for his first start.

But I rolled the dice and apparently it has paid off.

Validated yet again. ;)

Seriously, his frame is a concern. But - if Dusty doesn't destroy him - he's going to be very very good.

This is the second post I've read in about five minutes of how bad Baker is. How truly awful is he? Old school folks love him, stat people say he's an idiot - what's the deal? I know he's blamed for Wood and Prior's problems by some (but not all) people.

Any insights?

This is the second post I've read in about five minutes of how bad Baker is. How truly awful is he? Old school folks love him, stat people say he's an idiot - what's the deal? I know he's blamed for Wood and Prior's problems by some (but not all) people.

Any insights?

Yeah, he got a bad rap for pitcher injuries and other things that happened in Chicago (not all of which were his fault IMO) and now everyone makes stupid comments like he's going to ruin every single pitcher with the Reds. It's three games into the season and he's run all three of them very reasonably, so talking bad about him three games into the season seems petty to me. I still think he learned from his Chicago experience and won't make the same mistakes with the Reds.

And for the record, I'm EXTREMELY glad Johnny Cueto is still a Red. His performance today was awesome and he did in less than 100 pitches (in a steady rain) too. :D

Just watched the game this morning. This kid has the stuff to be great. 3 Plus pitches (Fastball, Slider, and Changeup). Slider could use some more bit, but it was raining. His command was out of this world.

Cueto is on the waiver wire in my fantasy league--I'm gonna put a claim in for him, but i can't figure out who to drop. Top candidates are:

Ian Snell, Shawn Marcum, Oliver Perez, Chad Billingsley (I also have Rich Hill, Dustin McGowan, and Matt Cain, but have no intention of waiving any of those 3).

I'm leaning towards Snell because he won't win any games with Pittsburgh, but he has had a lot of Ks the past 2 seasons and had a really decent year last year. Thoughts from the Hangout.

P.S.--Too bad we didn't trade for this guy (although I love having Jones on the team, and who knows, maybe Tillman will be the new Cueto next year).

Thanks for the advice--Hangout has the most knowledgable baseball fans!

Archived