Is the Blue Jays' competitive window closing?

mdbdotcom

More or less how I see it. They'll replace some of the pitching. Buehrle was making $20 mm last year and they can do better than that for that kind of coin.

I do think Bautista and Encarnacion are kind of one-year ticking time bombs. Both have been very productive players who have vastly outperformed their contracts. Both have one year remaining on their deals. Bautista (5.1 rWAR this year) only makes $14 mm next year, and he'll be 35. Encarnacion (4.7 rWAR this season) makes $10 mm next year and he'll be 33. After 2016 the Jays will either will have to say goodbye to those two, or pay market prices for aging guys. Donaldson also is going to start getting much more expensive (he made only $4.4 mm this year as a Suoer-Two) and will probably start declining.

My bottom line: no reason the Jays shouldn't be a top contender in 2016 with a reasonable offseason, but 2017 and beyond is cloudier.

As to Anthopolous, I think he made some debatable moves, but he also made a lot of great ones. He signed Bautista and Encarnacion to deals that were steals, the Donaldson trade was a steal, and he did a brilliant job of stockpiling draft picks under the old rules and used his picks wisely. I don't think Jays fans can really complain too much about his tenure.

Cruz, Batista, Ecarnacion are all Dominicans. I think there is some enhancement going on there. Age doesn't catch up to them like normal players.

Anthropolous was not very good for years. But then he decided he better produce or be fired so he traded a lot of young players for a few veterans. It worked. He all of sudden had a playoff team. An older playoff team but he won and went out on top in Toronto. So finding another job will not be tough next year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that if they hire a guy who knows what he's doing and rogers will shell out the money for price and for pitching, then they will be competitive. If not, next season will mirror the season we had this year

Hire what guy? They will simply have a puppet for Shapiro. The Cleveland dude.

Hire what guy? They will simply have a puppet for Shapiro. The Cleveland dude.

Who wasn't bad in Cleveland, they just had an ownership who couldn't spend huge amounts of money on what they had. He'll probably do everything, but will Rogers cut back, because they're spending a lot of money to keep there monopoly on Canada and keep Verizon and Comcast out of the great north.

Who wasn't bad in Cleveland, they just had an ownership who couldn't spend huge amounts of money on what they had. He'll probably do everything, but will Rogers cut back, because they're spending a lot of money to keep there monopoly on Canada and keep Verizon and Comcast out of the great north.

Like every other owner, I expect they will determine spending for the team based on how much money it brings in without subsidizing it from other ventures.

Cable is dying anyway. But then. We all are.

Cable is dying anyway. But then. We all are.

Yup, indeed.

Unless you live in a rural area where high speed internet coverage is tough, cable is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Hell Google is already successfully testing Drones that will provide wireless highspeed access at rates that are comparable to hardwire in rural and mountainous areas where laying cable and infrastructure is not cost effective. Within 10 years there will not be a nook or cranny of this globe where you wont be able to check your damn FB or Instagram lol.

Comcast is a dying giant, a future Blockbuster. A relic that time and technology will leave behind

Unless you live in a rural area where high speed internet coverage is tough, cable is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Comcast is a dying giant, a future Blockbuster. A relic that time and technology will leave behind

well, I don't live in 'a rural area'. I live in southern MD, where Comcrashed is a monopoly. Particularly if you want MASN. Or, go to DirectTV where reception is bad & internet even worse that Bombast. Where, exactly, do I sign up for this 'drone service'? ;)

well, I don't live in 'a rural area'. I live in southern MD, where Comcrashed is a monopoly. Particularly if you want MASN. Or, go to DirectTV where reception is bad & internet even worse that Bombast. Where, exactly, do I sign up for this 'drone service'? ;)

Its coming. How your connected to the internet and the devices we use will be quite different in 20 years

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yup, indeed.

Hell Google is already successfully testing Drones that will provide wireless highspeed access at rates that are comparable to hardwire in rural and mountainous areas where laying cable and infrastructure is not cost effective. Within 10 years there will not be a nook or cranny of this globe where you wont be able to check your damn FB or Instagram lol.

Well, I don't live in 'a rural area.' I live in southern MD, where Comcrashed is a monopoly. Particularly if you want MASN. Or, go to DirectTV where reception is bad & internet even worse that Bombast. Where exactly do I sign up for this 'drone service'? ;)

It's coming. How your connected to the internet and the devices we use will be quite different in 20 years.

But that doesn't help me now !!!

If you can just hang tight for about 6 years or so, you'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to cars without wheels myself.

Cruz, Batista, Ecarnacion are all Dominicans. I think there is some enhancement going on there. Age doesn't catch up to them like normal players.

Anthropolous was not very good for years. But then he decided he better produce or be fired so he traded a lot of young players for a few veterans. It worked. He all of sudden had a playoff team. An older playoff team but he won and went out on top in Toronto. So finding another job will not be tough next year.

How is this allowed on this forum? Not even trying to stir things up and I'm not usually race/nation sensitive but as a PROUD black man this really bothers me.

Archived