A Look Back At David Ortiz's Highlights Against The Orioles

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's bad enough the national media is gonna fawn and prance around a guy who was worth far less than Edgar Martinez was........

Love your work Paul but reliving the great moments a compete jerk had against us should be beneath you. That the stuff the lackeys in the mainstream media feed us. How about an article about how most of those great moments were likely fueled by PEDS?

Like I said, I love reading Paul's stuff, in this one instance though, no thanks.

The Red Sox snagged Ortiz off the scrap heap after the Twins non-tendered him. I had so wanted the O's to sign him. I'm still sorry they didn't. DD's stock would go way up were he to find the next David Ortiz in the dumpster.

As long as horse steroids are also found in said dumpster.

June 2, 2005: Ortiz was responsible for handing the O's a particularly painful finish June 2. The first-place Orioles were on the verge of winning a four-game series in Boston, taking a 4-3 lead into the ninth during the finale. With two runners aboard and two outs, though, Ortiz stepped to the plate against O's lefty closer B.J. Ryan, worked the count full and then sent the Boston crowd home happy with a walk-off three-run homer.

That was a day game, and I was driving my 15-year old daughter to an appointment while listening to the game on the radio. When Ortiz hit that homer I screamed so long and loud that my daughter asked me if I was OK to drive.

I would go as far as saying that Ortiz was a more valuable player than Jim Rice. Rice was decent at playing the left-field wall at Fenway, but he was clearly a below-average LFer - a natural DH - especially compared to Lynn and Dwight Evans in that OF. Ortiz' career stats are significantly better.

I would go as far as saying that Ortiz was a more valuable player than Jim Rice. Rice was decent at playing the left-field wall at Fenway, but he was clearly a below-average LFer - a natural DH - especially compared to Lynn and Dwight Evans in that OF. Ortiz' career stats are significantly better.

Rice was a below-average outfielder, but he was at least competent enough where he played the outfield in about 70% of his games. Ortiz, on the other hand, played only 15% of his games at 1B. Ortiz pretty clearly was the better hitter, but he was basically unusable in the field, whereas Rice was at least serviceable. By rWAR, Ortiz had the slightly more valuable career, 50 to 47, mostly because he was still a good hitter in his late 30's whereas Rice was done at age 36.

Jim Rice was done as a good player after age 33. Ortiz obviously lasted much longer as a terrific bat and that is why the two are comparable players by WAR (about 50).

Edgar Martinez is still the best DH of all time. Ortiz is probably second.

Archived