Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O'Day couldve taken 3yrs-$24M from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nats?src=hash">#Nats</a> but chose less AAV (4-$31M) w Os. Reports now say Heyward took less $ to sign w Cubs over Nats. ...</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O'Day couldve taken 3yrs-$24M from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nats?src=hash">#Nats</a> but chose less AAV (4-$31M) w Os. Reports now say Heyward took less $ to sign w Cubs over Nats. ...</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

PapScreen_Shot_2015-09-27_at_43114_PM.vadapt.620.high.29.jpg

PapScreen_Shot_2015-09-27_at_43114_PM.vadapt.620.high.29.jpg

Exhibit A that clubhouse chemistry really does matter to players.

I thought that was obvious. You don't always have to put the bad stuff in bold 48 point type.

No, it's not obvious if you just call him an average starter who is sometimes awesome. You don't always have to pretend the bad stuff doesn't exist, either.

Sorry, I love the orange and black in my closet but I'm not comparing Ubaldo to Felix and ignoring any of the risk with Ubaldo by just referring to him as an average arm who is sometimes awesome illegitimizes anyone who is grousing about the uncertainty he brings to the rotation.

No, it's not obvious if you just call him an average starter who is sometimes awesome. You don't always have to pretend the bad stuff doesn't exist, either.

Sorry, I love the orange and black in my closet but I'm not comparing Ubaldo to Felix and ignoring any of the risk with Ubaldo by just referring to him as an average arm who is sometimes awesome illegitimizes anyone who is grousing about the uncertainty he brings to the rotation.

I'd love to see the post where I suggested Ubado was in the same universe as Felix. I believe all I said was that he can sometimes be great, and if anyone has ever seen Ubaldo or taken 15 seconds to peruse his bb-ref page you'd conclude that wasn't something he was doing all time, or anything like that.

I'd love to see the post where I suggested Ubado was in the same universe as Felix. I believe all I said was that he can sometimes be great, and if anyone has ever seen Ubaldo or taken 15 seconds to peruse his bb-ref page you'd conclude that wasn't something he was doing all time, or anything like that.

And yet on any given day he can out pitch anyone. Funny how that inconsistency works.

I think most 33-year old relievers would take 4/$31 mm over 3/$24 mm. I really don't think that example is any reflection on the Nats at all.

I think most 33-year old relievers would take 4/$31 mm over 3/$24 mm. I really don't think that example is any reflection on the Nats at all.

That tweet about lower AAV is extremely misleading. The AAV is only $250K lower but for an extra year and $7M overall. It's basically the difference between a 3 yr deal and a 4 yr deal and an absolute no-brainer for O'Day if the Nats would not go to a 4th year.

Agree that the extra year was the overriding factor, but the Oriole' offer included deferred money, which lowers the AAV even more, especially in the first two years. Additionally, I thought I read that the Nationals' final offer was 3/$26 million. No? The Nationals definitely offered more money to Heyward than the Cubs offer that he took.

Archived