Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

Article from Camden Chat:

http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/6/12/8770115/lets-appreciate-darren-oday

Darren O'Day isn't just another reliever who can easily be replaced. At OPACY, he is one of the most popular players, with the chant "O'Day, O'Day, O'Day, OOOOOO!!" resounding throughout the park. O's management needs to make a serious attempt to resign him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if we are going to resign him, it has to be during the season. If he hits the market, his value will skyrocket (assuming he continues to pitch like he has). He wouldn't get Miller money, obviously. It's just a matter of how much do the Orioles value him. Get it done in season, or say goodbye to O'Day.

He is an elite reliever. You simply cannot argue with his track record, especially since getting to Baltimore:

2012: 2.28 ERA, 0.94 WHIP

2013: 2.18 ERA, 1.00 WHIP

2014: 1.70 ERA, 0.89 WHIP

2015: 1.17 ERA, 0.73 WHIP

Dan made a brilliant move locking up O'Day for 2013-15 at a relatively cheap price (3/$9.65 mm). Unfortunately, he'll probably cost double that amount, and maybe more, the next time around, when he'll be 33-35 years old. It's going to be a tough decision whether to try to extend/re-sign him.

He is an elite reliever. You simply cannot argue with his track record, especially since getting to Baltimore:

2012: 2.28 ERA, 0.94 WHIP

2013: 2.18 ERA, 1.00 WHIP

2014: 1.70 ERA, 0.89 WHIP

2015: 1.17 ERA, 0.73 WHIP

Dan made a brilliant move locking up O'Day for 2013-15 at a relatively cheap price (3/$9.65 mm). Unfortunately, he'll probably cost double that amount, and maybe more, the next time around, when he'll be 33-35 years old. It's going to be a tough decision whether to try to extend/re-sign him.

I would do my best to extend/re-sign him, even at the risk of giving him 9+ million a year.

I know some in OH, feel that relievers are fickle and fragile.

O'Day has been strong the whole time here.

I would do my best to extend/re-sign him, even at the risk of giving him 9+ million a year.

I know some in OH, feel that relievers are fickle and fragile.

O'Day has been strong the whole time here.

True, but you are paying him for the future and not the past. I assume at 9 mil/year we'd have to give him at least 3 years. Are you confident he will be both productive and dominant at age 33-36? Because I am not.

True, but you are paying him for the future and not the past. I assume at 9 mil/year we'd have to give him at least 3 years. Are you confident he will be both productive and dominant at age 33-36? Because I am not.

Yes, I know, we pay for future. My point was, he has been nothing but rock solid for us, not streaky good and then moments of bad.

In O'Day's case, I would go three years. There is a risk yes, but solid pen guys in the 2+ WAR as a reliever are not easy to come by, and you usually have to pay for them.

Look at Pat Neshek. They compare pretty well. Neshek signed a 2/13mil with a club option for another 6.5mil. He signed this deal at 34 years old. This is the low end of O'Day's market. I think if we were to offer O'Day a 3 year deal, it would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 3/18-22 mil.

Look at Pat Neshek. They compare pretty well. Neshek signed a 2/13mil with a club option for another 6.5mil. He signed this deal at 34 years old. This is the low end of O'Day's market. I think if we were to offer O'Day a 3 year deal, it would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 3/18-22 mil.

Nice compare with Neshek.

Archived