What was/is the O's plan

webbrick2010

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think we need another SP who can barely get out of the 5th inning... Id say well maybe its because we would have lots of revolving parts in the bullpen, but those guys who have options are few and far in between.

Not quite sure how this applies to Gallardo, who generally throws 180-200 innings a year.

• 6 months later...

I'm really struggling with taking the O's "big" moves and figuring out what the cohesive plan is.

Big move #1: Sign a 30+ SS coming off an injury riddled bad year to a 4 year extension keeping the guy that was drafted to be a stud franchise SS at 3B

Big move #2: Sign a 32+ setup guy to a 4 year 36 million dollar contract while your young stud closer a Boras client heads to Free Agency. Why not trade O'day for OF/SP help and sign Britton long term. Or if you sign O'day why not trade Britton for SP/OF help. The money allocated to the O's bullpen is not in proportion to the talent (lack of) in the starting rotation and OF

Big? move #3: Sign Trumbo for 9 million dollars to play 1B, and then sign Davis for 161 million to play 1B making Trumbo redundant and/or just way too expensive. Once again we have no SP or corner OF'ers. Wieters will also need to play some 1B/DH when he is not messing up the pitching staff with his poor pitch framing. Our big FA purchase should have been and OF'er or a SP, or perhaps both (Say Fowler and Leake)

Seem apparent the PA stepped in and screwed up whatever plan DD may have had. Now we have a pretty expensive roster that has IMO no chance to compete. Counting down those years to when we are out from under the Hardy, O'day and Davis contracts.

We're just beyond the 2/3 mark of the season.

The Orioles are competing fairly well.

I'm really struggling with taking the O's "big" moves and figuring out what the cohesive plan is.

Once again we have no SP or corner OF'ers. Wieters will also need to play some 1B/DH when he is not messing up the pitching staff with his poor pitch framing. Our big FA purchase should have been and OF'er or a SP, or perhaps both (Say Fowler and Leake)

Seem apparent the PA stepped in and screwed up whatever plan DD may have had. Now we have a pretty expensive roster that has IMO no chance to compete. Counting down those years to when we are out from under the Hardy, O'day and Davis contracts.

The plan worked to my satisfaction as a fan - I got to watch meaningful baseball in August. Mid August.

So they don't lock horn?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> farmhand Andrew Triggs will start for the A's against the O's on Thursday.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">August 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="762800905511051266" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The very same Andrew Triggs who started one game in his minor league career, two years ago when he allowed one run in four innings against the Tulsa Drillers. His first MLB start was July 17th, where he allowed one unearned run in one inning.

Any idea what the A's are doing here? I think that start on July 17 was supposed to be Rich Hill's, but although he's listed in the box score he didn't pitch.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

The very same Andrew Triggs who started one game in his minor league career, two years ago when he allowed one run in four innings against the Tulsa Drillers. His first MLB start was July 17th, where he allowed one unearned run in one inning.

Any idea what the A's are doing here? I think that start on July 17 was supposed to be Rich Hill's, but although he's listed in the box score he didn't pitch.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

Reliever day?

Archived