Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is barely hitting .300 during the streak.

Why don't you try hitting .300 at the ML level, and then have people on the internet withching because you only BARELY are hitting .300. .302! WTF good is that??

Why don't you try hitting .300 at the ML level, and then have people on the internet withching because you only BARELY are hitting .300. .302! WTF good is that??

The point was that generally when you are on a hitting streak that is one of your best runs of the season. The fact that he wasn't really that hot makes it harder to balance out the invariable bad spots in his game.

(MAY 7th)

Jonathan Schoop has a 9-game hitting streak, in which he has batted .313 during that time.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/729054132414382080

10-game hitting streak, now.

11-game hitting streak, now.

Jonathan B. Goode.

Snapped at 11 games.

Not bad for a guy who was struggling as badly as he was prior to the streak.

He batted .350 with an OBP of .366, 2 home runs, 2 doubles, and 14 hits overall.

The point was that generally when you are on a hitting streak that is one of your best runs of the season. The fact that he wasn't really that hot makes it harder to balance out the invariable bad spots in his game.

.300 for any 11 game period means you are hot. An 11 game hit streak means you are hot. YMMV

.300 for any 11 game period means you are hot. An 11 game hit streak means you are hot. YMMV

The thread title is "Schoop could be heading for stardom". For someone that walks as little as Schoop that is going to have to mean hitting close to .300 for the year, not just for an 11 game stretch.

Now I know someone is going to say he hit .350 but that was his revised stats after my initial post and after he went 3-4. The larger point was that while he had a hitting streak he wasn't really that hot.

o

(vs. TIGERS, 5/12)

Schoop hit his first career triple tonight ...... and he made it count.

There were 2 outs and 2 runners on base in a tie game, in the bottom of the 7th inning.

The 2-out, 2-RBI triple proved to be the difference in the win.

The fact that Schoop has a 0.0 WAR makes me want to re evaluate that stat. Especially since how much WAR do 2nd Basemen lose on defense because of the shift?

rWAR has him at 0.1 right now and fWAR has him at 0.2. I wouldn't read too much into it at the moment. I think his average/OBP will continue to trend upwards and he'll be a 2+ win player by years end, at the very least.

The fact that Schoop has a 0.0 WAR makes me want to re evaluate that stat.

His OBP is .279. He has a 3% walk rate. That's the primary reason he's not rating out higher. It's difficult to be very valuable when you're making outs 72% of the time. In 2015 Dee Gordon was the only above-average offensive player who qualified for the batting title while walking less than 4% of the time, and he hit .333 and was a +5 baserunner.

Especially since how much WAR do 2nd Basemen lose on defense because of the shift?

I'm not sure what that means? Why would second basemen be more negatively impacted than other positions by shifts? Why would they be negatively impacted at all?

I'm not sure what that means? Why would second basemen be more negatively impacted than other positions by shifts? Why would they be negatively impacted at all?

I was wondering about this as well. I know there was some changes that the purveyors of some of the defensive rating metrics had to do to remove some of the wackiness resulting from high % of shifted sets using traditional tracking (didn't Lawrie break it at 3B or something?). Perhaps he's suggesting that being moved out to shallow RF and the subsequent adjustment for the play mutes his defensive impact? I don't really know, but I'm assuming the suggestion has something to do with how the charting is done for playing in a shifted defense.

Archived