Clubhouse Chemistry

Going Underground

Nice article, Something different then who the Orioles are interested in and still waiting for the free agent market to settle.

He was the glue that held the bullpen together, one of the team?s most respected veterans and the players? union representative. Showalter trusted Johnson to be one of the guys who could police the clubhouse, keep everything in order and build chemistry among the group.

Simply put, he was a "fireman" in more ways that one. Johnson extinguished fires on the field and also inside the Orioles clubhouse.

Some fans shrugged it off when Johnson was dealt. Some say that he cost the Orioles a trip to the postseason because he blew nine saves, but that's a flawed argument.

But can you measure his value in his ability to keep the clubhouse united? Does that go into the $10 million he was projected to get through arbitration? What?s the cost of losing him and risking a mutiny?

That?s why, when Johnson was traded, Showalter was forced to go on damage control. He received several messages from players who wanted to know why the club traded Johnson.

?That?s part of my job and they care,? he said. ?I like to think I do, too, and they deserve to hear from me about those things. So, it?s not pleasant, but you have to. You have to.?

And while Showalter will never say it, he had to be upset about the Johnson trade as well. After working so hard to develop that bond in the clubhouse, it can fracture easily. Showalter said he had multiple conversations with Johnson since the trade -- ?The first one didn?t last too long, the second one was better.? -- but it hasn?t been easy to say goodbye.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-showalter-realizes-challenge-ahead-in-rebuilding-clubhouse-chemistry-following-johnson-trade-20131211,0,1321857.story

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chemistry -

I think a lot can be said for Chemistry. It's a fine line between being the boss and their friend. You want their respect and their trust, and when you have that, it's much easier to function as a team.

I think Buck probably does as a good as job of walking that fine line as there is.

What a bunch of BS

Chemistry, Shemistry

If he was such a team guy maybe he should have accepted a team friendly extension

I hear he is asking for 4/45 to 4/50. That kind of deal would have killed the team going forward.

and also... he isn't that good except for the ridiculous save stat, which is meaningless.

What a bunch of BS

Chemistry, Shemistry

If he was such a team guy maybe he should have accepted a team friendly extension

I hear he is asking for 4/45 to 4/50. That kind of deal would have killed the team going forward.

and also... he isn't that good except for the ridiculous save stat, which is meaningless.

Inside sources?

Seriously, we have no clue what he was offered.

What a bunch of BS

Chemistry, Shemistry

What does chemistry and keeping the clubhouse in line have to do with his salary request?

What does chemistry and keeping the clubhouse in line have to do with his salary request?

Well first off with a 10+ million salary devoted to a mediocre closer the O's would be back under .500

and second I don't buy into the fact that the O's clubhouse chemistry will fall in the crapper because they don't have Jim Johnson.

I don't thinks all the players were happy with him blowing 9 saves, especially when Buck kept trotting him out their and kept him in the game well past his 20th pitch, when stats showed that his OPS against was over 1.0 after 20 pitches.

At any rate he sure didn't help my chemistry

Well first off with a 10+ million salary devoted to a mediocre closer the O's would be back under .500

and second I don't buy into the fact that the O's clubhouse chemistry will fall in the crapper because they don't have Jim Johnson.

I don't thinks all the players were happy with him blowing 9 saves, especially when Buck kept trotting him out their and kept him in the game well past his 20th pitch, when stats showed that his OPS against was over 1.0 after 20 pitches.

At any rate he sure didn't help my chemistry

You underestimate the players and how concerned they are about the lack of ownership commitment to fielding a competitive team.

It is a chicken, egg question. Do many players give a home team discount to maintain a "chemistry" or a nice environment? Ask Boras if he discusses that or sells that you have x amount of time and earn as much as you can.

Players (teams) can't have it both ways. Compromise seems to be a dirty word in baseball as in Congress.

I am a believer in chemistry. Look at The Ravens. Despite salary caps and losing team members, they seem to always manage to keep a core that maintain the Raven Way.

On the news in Albany, NY the other night they quoted that there is a concern that the Yankees have of lack of being a "team" and more like 25 individuals.

Winning certainly helps chemistry more than anything, but the spark to start winning has to come from someplace.

It is a chicken, egg question. Do many players give a home team discount to maintain a "chemistry" or a nice environment? Ask Boras if he discusses that or sells that you have x amount of time and earn as much as you can.

Players (teams) can't have it both ways. Compromise seems to be a dirty word in baseball as in Congress.

I am a believer in chemistry. Look at The Ravens. Despite salary caps and losing team members, they seem to always manage to keep a core that maintain the Raven Way.

On the news in Albany, NY the other night they quoted that there is a concern that the Yankees have of lack of being a "team" and more like 25 individuals.

Winning certainly helps chemistry more than anything, but the spark to start winning has to come from someplace.

Talent maybe?

This was also in Buster Olney's book on the Yankees. I can't find the article but Bucvk told Gene Michael to get rid of Hall. Buck did not like how he sat in the corner when his teammates hit a homer. Buck is big on team chemistry. I think it is somewhat overrated but what do I know.

When Showalter took over as manager of the New York Yankees in 1992, he inherited a team with a slew of malcontents. One of them was an outfielder named Mel Hall, who bullied Bernie Williams, one of the most promising young players on the team. Hall called the shy Williams “Bambi” and treated him badly, hazing him and hurting his confidence. Showalter got rid of players like Hall and saw Williams become a star. Leadership lesson: Don’t be afraid to get rid of bad actors in order to build your work team.

http://www.business2community.com/leadership/8-leadership-lessons-that-buck-showalters-success-teaches-us-0303133#!pDV8q

Talent maybe?

Ditto we have a winner

This isn't the Bad News Bears, this is MLB with PROFESSIONAL athletes.

Talent trumps chemistry.

The O's lack talent because they:

1. Won't pay for it

2. Have failed at developing it.

3. Overpay for marginal talent that actually hurts the process of improving.

Ditto we have a winner

Talent trumps chemistry.

1. Won't pay for it

I'll agree that in most cases that talent does trump chemistry. However, I don't think that you can discount the afect of team chemistry as it may have pertained to the Orioles success the past two seasons. Position for position they were not as talented as the Yankees or red Sox, however, they were able to compete. I believe that the team bought into what Showwalter is selling.

As to your three points: 1. I think that this is too early to make this statement. However, they will most likely not sign an impact free agent to a multi year 100 million

dollar deal this winter.

2. The current regime needs a little more time to be evaluated in this area IMO. They are certainly not reaping a whole lot from the previous

regimes' player developement plan.

3. Disgaree that the Orioles have overpaid for marginal talent. To the contrary, they let McClouth and Feldman walk because of the

contracts that they were able to get in the open market. IMO, these are two examples of their not overpaying for marginal talent.

Ditto we have a winner

Talent trumps chemistry.

1. Won't pay for it

Since they lack talent, how is it, they went to the playoffs two years ago, and just barely missed out year, and still won 85 games?

That's a good point on #3, but I think webbrick is looking at a historical point of view- acquisitions that we've made like Vlad, Tejada (part 2), Corey Patterson and Sammy Sosa. We have a history of signing back end of the career guys. We also do have a history of signing guys that don't deserve what we are willing to give them, and NOT giving guys worth the money what they deserve.

DD is doing MUCH better on all 3 of these complaints, but it takes time to change the perception.

Archived