Tyler Ladendorf, SS

Let's say we don't get either of the Beckhams in the 1st round. This guy might be a nice later round choice. I'm not sure what round this guy would be projected to go this draft. What do you guys think?

Tyler Ladendorf, SS

Howard College, Big Spring, Texas

The junior college standout who's been drafted twice before has been tearing up the competition at Howard, hitting .552 with 10 homers, 58 RBIs and 23 steals in 24 attempts over 41 games.

Ladendorf was drafted by the Giants in the 34th round last year (the second year in a row he'd been drafted in that round), but he opted to return to Howard for another season. There's little question his Draft stock has risen since then as he's shown the ability to run, hit for power and field his position pretty well for a player his size. He may not be a shortstop long-term, but he's more than athletic enough to handle a switch. Wherever he plays defensively, his size and athleticism should see him get drafted for a third time much earlier than the previous two.

Let's say we don't get either of the Beckhams in the 1st round. This guy might be a nice later round choice. I'm not sure what round this guy would be projected to go this draft. What do you guys think?

Tyler Ladendorf, SS

Howard College, Big Spring, Texas

The junior college standout who's been drafted twice before has been tearing up the competition at Howard, hitting .552 with 10 homers, 58 RBIs and 23 steals in 24 attempts over 41 games.

Ladendorf was drafted by the Giants in the 34th round last year (the second year in a row he'd been drafted in that round), but he opted to return to Howard for another season. There's little question his Draft stock has risen since then as he's shown the ability to run, hit for power and field his position pretty well for a player his size. He may not be a shortstop long-term, but he's more than athletic enough to handle a switch. Wherever he plays defensively, his size and athleticism should see him get drafted for a third time much earlier than the previous two.

Yeah, no doubt his draft stock has risen, but how much is hard to say. The scouting report on him says that he doesn't have enough weight in his load, so there's a good chance that a lot of the power he's been showing is from combining his excellent bat speed with metal bats. How much of a problem this is perceived to be (by whoever is interested) could determine how early he gets drafted. It would seem like a simple thing to fix, but you never know how each guy will react and make adjustments.

Personally, I like him. If he can stay at shortstop, that'd be a real plus since it wouldn't put as much pressure on him to keep hitting with a ton of power. Great bat speed and a plus arm are two things that can't be taught.

I hope he's someone that Jordan is keeping an eye on.

• 1 month later...

I played baseball with Tyler in HS and he is a stud. He went to Ju Co cuz of his grades but he is an amazing baseball player. He led the country in batting and he hit 16 HRs in less than 60 games. Last year he was perfect 61 for 61 in stolen bases and this year he was like 32 for 33. He can rake, and plays amazing defense. He is projected to go in the late first round or supplementary first round. He is listed as the 4th best SS in the draft. I want the Cubs to take him bad, and he doesnt care where he goes. But he for sure is gonna sign once drafted. He was actually drafted in like the 7th round the past 2 years but told the teams that he wouldnt sign so they waited to draft him till like the 34th round knowing he wouldnt sign. Hes a legit player and should be taken before the 2nd round. He is a big guy, has a perfect swing, fast and has a cannon. He should stay a SS.

Archived