Roch: All kinds of fact drops and innuendos.

weams

It wasn't faux-incredulity. It was legitimate.

He now says he was joking, but at the time I didn't know that to be the case.

And if he had been serious, the incredulity would have been well deserved.

Teasing was the word I used. Teasing the over the top diatribe with false data. Like I get teased when I say I don't care about strike outs and only admire power.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teasing was the word I used. Teasing the over the top diatribe with false data. Like I get teased when I say I don't care about strike outs and only admire power.

What over the top diatribe?

That I think the best defensive lineup is Davis in RF and Trumbo at 1st, and that I don't think any "status" or "comfort" on Davis' part will stop Buck putting that out there when/if he determines the same?

That's over the top?

Nick played RF for us for nine years, and the only two injuries he had that caused him a DL trip were when he was at bat. I don't think OF is all that dangerous, though injuries can happen at any position, including 1B.

I will be very surprised if Davis never sets foot in the outfield this year. But I couldn't say whether it will be 5 games or 50.

I take great issue with the idea that he won't play the OF now because his "status" has changed. That is not the culture of this team. Buck will make decisions based on what he thinks will help the team win, and Davis will go along with it. There is mutual respect there and I don't expect any issues over it. I'm sure Buck would prefer to keep Davis at 1B as much as possible, but if Davis can help the team by playing some OF, he will tell Davis that and Davis will willingly do it.

I don't think it's impossible that he play some games out there. Late inning switches, injury, etc. could all make that a very real possibility. I think that number is far closer to 5 than 50, though. As has been said I don't think there's an electric fence around the RF position, but forcing him to move off his preferred spot of 1B so that Trumbo can play there seems silly to me and it doesn't seem that that is the direction the team plans to go at this point either.

Ultimately it boils down to:

I don't know that Trumbo at 1B and Davis in Rf is a better defensive alignment than the alternative.

If it is I don't believe there is anything to suggest that the difference is significant.

Lacking a significant or compelling reason, why move the guy were committed to long term off of the position for which he has stated preference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. He had a lot more to lose last year. And if it really affected his performance A) it didn't. Becaue he hit 53 hrs. And b) He would have bucked a lot harder.

Frobby says I am wrong. I said you are wrong. Maybe it is me. I expect Chris Davis to play first base and DH for the length of his contract.

Frobby says I am wrong. I said you are wrong. Maybe it is me. I expect Chris Davis to play first base and DH for the length of his contract.

And I expect him to play what's best for the team. Including 3b if God forbid MM got hurt. And there's really no reason not to expect Buck to do that. Not status. Not contract. What Daivs is "comfortable" with.

Nick played RF for us for nine years, and the only two injuries he had that caused him a DL trip were when he was at bat. I don't think OF is all that dangerous, though injuries can happen at any position, including 1B.

I will be very surprised if Davis never sets foot in the outfield this year. But I couldn't say whether it will be 5 games or 50.

I take great issue with the idea that he won't play the OF now because his "status" has changed. That is not the culture of this team. Buck will make decisions based on what he thinks will help the team win, and Davis will go along with it. There is mutual respect there and I don't expect any issues over it. I'm sure Buck would prefer to keep Davis at 1B as much as possible, but if Davis can help the team by playing some OF, he will tell Davis that and Davis will willingly do it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Davis asked to make trip today to get more at-bats <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And I expect him to play what's best for the team. Including 3b if God forbid MM got hurt. And there's really no reason not to expect Buck to do that. Not status. Not contract. What Daivs is "comfortable" with.

Response to injuries and what the plan is going into the season are two very different animals, in my opinion.

I suspect the folks that spent that money would have a place at that table. They are the only party that is involved in the final four seasons of the obligation. At this time. Now, if the team is in need and the race is close, later this season? All bets are off. For the same reason.

Response to injuries and what the plan is going into the season are two very different animals, in my opinion.

Well, I'd agree that I don't expect to see him at 3rd sans injury.

I don't agree that about RF.

Archived