For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

16 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

A question I have about the box...and the robo Ump system in general....is what is the measurement error? Is the thickness of the box lines supposed to represent the error? What is the significance level for determining a strike? Is some of the error related to systematic park effects? Weather effects?

I am sure there is nonzero error, but it must be much smaller than the human error.

I did not know, or remember, that the strike zone is 3D. I have assumed that it was a 2D rectangle positioned at the front of home plate, as we see on the broadcast. How can the home plate umpire call a 3D strike zone when he doesn't have the perspective?

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I am sure there is nonzero error, but it must be much smaller than the human error.

I did not know, or remember, that the strike zone is 3D. I have assumed that it was a 2D rectangle positioned at the front of home plate, as we see on the broadcast. How can the home plate umpire call a 3D strike zone when he doesn't have the perspective?

I’m amazed they are as “good” as they are. It’s not an easy task....although perhaps easier than trying to hit the ball!

I suspect the TV box lines are just arbitrary and have no relation to the actual error. I’m just curious what it actually is. Has it been published anywhere?

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I'd hope so. I don't know about you, but I'm not a professional umpire.

Well just think about it.  If a ball is thrown right down the plate most hitters are going to swing at the pitch.  So you don’t get to call those.  Pitchers are throwing harder than ever.  Lot more breaking pitches.  Big difference between sizes of players.  

Then  the size of the catcher you are looking over varies.  you have catchers who try to frame the hall to trick you.  

Even the best umpires say there is no way they could call ball and strikes every game due to the stress.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As opposed to actively sabotaging it?

I find it hard to believe this was a difficult sell.  We're going to have as many umps, we're going to pay you just as much, but we're going to give you a tool to not only do your job better but also one that gives you an iron-clad defense whenever an irate manager or fan confronts you about a bad ball/strike call. I guess there might be umps still in the employ of MLB who like the freedom to call obvious balls strikes and vice versa?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I find it hard to believe this was a difficult sell.  We're going to have as many umps, we're going to pay you just as much, but we're going to give you a tool to not only do your job better but also one that gives you an iron-clad defense whenever an irate manager or fan confronts you about a bad ball/strike call. I guess there might be umps still in the employ of MLB who like the freedom to call obvious balls strikes and vice versa?

Plus early retirement. What a gig!

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I figure some of them wouldn't be able to take the hit to their ego.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How are you supposed to punish players you don’t like and rookies who don’t “deserve” strike calls if you can’t rig the strike zone?     Maybe the computer can be pre-programmed to take care of that.

• Upvote 1