For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How are you supposed to punish players you don’t like and rookies who don’t “deserve” strike calls if you can’t rig the strike zone?     Maybe the computer can be pre-programmed to take care of that.

Or what if it is a travel day and you are behind the plate and it's just over a hundred out there and you've got a plane to catch?

52 minutes ago, atomic said:

But you won't get to complain about the Orioles catchers' abysmal framing abilities. 

This kind of raises an interesting point, which is taking away the skill of the catcher at framing as an element of the game.    Kind of sad to think of catchers who don’t hit well or throw well, but are adept at framing, suddenly being out on the street because their feature skill abruptly has no value. 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This kind of raises an interesting point, which is taking away the skill of the catcher at framing as an element of the game.    Kind of sad to think of catchers who don’t hit well or throw well, but are adept at framing, suddenly being out on the street because their feature skill abruptly has no value. 

There's that, but in an ideal world, there'd have been no need for framing in the first place.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

There's that, but in an ideal world, there'd have been no need for framing in the first place.

I agree with your point philosophically, but it’s still sort of sad to see some of the nuances of the game disappear.    Overall I’d rather get the calls right.   

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I group them with pitchers who are really good at scuffing the ball.

Is it is skill...sure.

Should it be a skill that is rewarded...debatable.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hate framing. So there is that. 

9 hours ago, weams said:

This. Or spitting on it. Or guys who hit well with stolen signs. 

I agree. My unease with the robo-Ump is the assumption that it will give us definitive truth. I suspect people will gripe about calls, promote conspiracies, and find something to question just as much in the robotic era as in the Joe West era. Plus, I would be happier if they published the error rate so that I could know when to say yeah that was an awesome strike 3 pitch!!!!!! (Within the 95% confidence interval!!!!!!!’ Heck yeah!!!!)

I like parts of my life to be fuzzy and human, like the games I watch.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

That's great for me.  I hate framing.  Either the pitch was a strike or it wasn't.  The catcher pulling the ball back into the strike zone or framing a ball as a strike is nothing but a game of smoke and mirrors, trying to get the ump to credit the pitcher with something the pitcher did not earn, a strike.  I'd love to see that 'skill' abruptly have no value and be removed and irrelevant to the game.  As to robo umps, I 100% support them.  While technology and the wonderful TV productions today have hurt the perception of the quality of umps, few things bother me more than a missed strike 3 or a strike 3 that's called a ball.  I simply want the pitcher (and hitter) to be credited with what they actually accomplish, and not just how the ump happens to perceive it.  Sure, a 90% success rate is pretty good, but that still means 10% of the calls were wrong.  If we can improve on that number without harming the speed of the game it should be done.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1