Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

I haven't seen any evidence that spending that money on middling draft slots inherently offers any better returns than spending it on AAAA players or marginal, but established minor leaguers.

I'm with you all. We gave up one pick, who might get some PT at Aberdeen later this year, more likely GCL, plus Brian and salary gone... for two 23 year olds who have been in the system (good system) for a couple years now. Put up some decent numbers. Lefty and a righty. This deal is like plus plus minus plus plus.

Win now.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm with you all. We gave up one pick, who might get some PT at Aberdeen later this year, more likely GCL, plus Brian and salary gone... for two 23 year olds who have been in the system (good system) for a couple years now. Put up some decent numbers. Lefty and a righty. This deal is like plus plus minus plus plus.

Win now.

[video=youtube;n0FlTjvQLgw]

I haven't seen any evidence that spending that money on middling draft slots inherently offers any better returns than spending it on AAAA players or marginal, but established minor leaguers.

Probably because the sample size is miniscule, since Dan looks to be about the only GM that sells his picks.

Dan"s quote to ROCH

With today's moves, we have added to the pitching depth of our organization. The pitchers we have acquired today are very competitive and have very good instincts. They have excellent control, keep the ball in the ballpark and consistently keep the ball over the plate. Not only have we stocked the pitching in our farm system, but we also added three potential major leaguers.

No they don't, they gave up any chance of the 28th pick when they signed Davis.

Dan has gone from three 1's and three 2's to one 1 and two 2's, one of which is unprotected.

You are right. It is the 26th or 27th that they got for Chen. My bad.

Still not sure what all the whining is about. We just got two minor leaguers back that look pretty decent. If you trade two picks that would equate to two minor leaguers for two minor leaguers from another club you're left with....two minor leaguers.

Another thing I don't understand is the whining about how DD has "gutted" our farm system. Guys, the farm system hasn't been good in like, 30 years. We've hardly reaped ANY value whatsoever in the past 25 or so years. Let's not act like we're the Cardinals or something.

I agree the farm is important for sure but I'm not getting worked up over a few draft picks when the team has shown a terrible track record over multiple regimes for scouting, drafting and developing. Too many Hobgoods and Rowell's to count, not enough Lincecum's and Trout's.

Still not sure what all the whining is about. We just got two minor leaguers back that look pretty decent. If you trade two picks that would equate to two minor leaguers for two minor leaguers from another club you're left with....two minor leaguers.

Exactly. Looking at the stats for the two arms we got, either one is as much as I'd expect from a 76th... and they're a few years closer to the majors.

Exactly. Looking at the stats for the two arms we got, either one is as much as I'd expect from a 76th... and they're a few years closer to the majors.

Yeah, but let's not that stuff get in the way of what we'd actually do with that draft pick. I'm sure we'd have drafted some ridiculous stud.

DRAFT PICKS OMFG!!!!!

Yeah, but let's not that stuff get in the way of what we'd actually do with that draft pick. I'm sure we'd have drafted some ridiculous stud.

DRAFT PICKS OMFG!!!!!

When you don't play the international game and won't compete for premium free agents how are you supposed to keep adding talent to the system if you don't value draft picks? Rule V guys? Minor league free agents?

I guess Dan's successor will get a few players in the inevitable sell off.

When you don't play the international game and won't compete for premium free agents how are you supposed to keep adding talent to the system if you don't value draft picks? Rule V guys? Minor league free agents?

I look forward to good baseball until that time.

Where'd we not play the international game where we signed Kim this year? I guess he must not count in your eyes because he hasn't lit the world on fire.

Premium free agents? Did we not resign 3/4 of our own in Davis, Wieters and O'Day? Rule V guys? Don't look now, one is our starting left fielder.

Archived