Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More like the Phillies, the Braves were able to jettison bad contracts.

In the other thread about how the sky is falling, people are criticizing the fact that the team will have no players at the MLB level after 2018.

I don't see the Cliff Lee, Halladay, Utley, Rollins contracts on this team. The only comparison would be CD - Ryan Howard. I'll grant you Hardy's contract is wearing thin, but thankfully he's only under contract for 1 more season.

They aren't even close to the Phillies. They have essentially no outlays after 2019 besides Davis. Far Cry from the Phillies situation in 2009. The PHillies exacerabted their problem by signing multiple, expensive FA pitchers in the early to mid 30s to long term deals...somehow I don't see the O's getting caught in that trap.

Do you ever have anything relevant to say? You seem to be offended by any criticism directed at DD.

Dan Duquette has made his share of mistakes as have all GMs. Even the revered ones. He brought the Orioles back to a winning tradition and has been very transparent with me and other members of the staff when we have made inquires of him or asked for time and attention. As GMs go, he is one who has put forth effort to improve the product that we consume.

In the other thread about how the sky is falling' date=' [b']people are criticizing the fact that the team will have no players at the MLB level after 2018.[/b]

I don't see the Cliff Lee, Halladay, Utley, Rollins contracts on this team. The only comparison would be CD - Ryan Howard. I'll grant you Hardy's contract is wearing thin, but thankfully he's only under contract for 1 more season.

They aren't even close to the Phillies. They have essentially no outlays after 2019 besides Davis. Far Cry from the Phillies situation in 2009. The PHillies exacerabted their problem by signing multiple, expensive FA pitchers in the early to mid 30s to long term deals...somehow I don't see the O's getting caught in that trap.

People were saying the same thing in 2014 and 2015 about 2016.

The average value of a #76 pick is something like one win in the six years of team control. So let's say $8M. The Orioles got the remainder of Matusz' salary and two minor league players for $8M.

I'd rather they kept the pick, but assessing the relative values of what was traded it was fairly even.

I disagree with this. You are apparently using the mean when you say "average." This is inappropriate in this case, IMO. It was posted earlier in this thread that, of the 52 #76 picks, only 19 have ever made it to the majors, 3 of which performed at a high level. The 3 players that have performed at a high level skew the mean quite a bit. Both the median and the mode are zero, and IMO both are more appropriate than the mean when discussing what the likely result is. The chances of this particular pick being a one win player is actually pretty low. We traded a remote chance at getting a Giancarlo Stanton in exchange for two prospects that are progressing well, and have at least as good a chance as the #76 pick has to make the majors; plus $3 million in salary savings.

I disagree with this. You are apparently using the mean when you say "average." This is inappropriate in this case, IMO. It was posted earlier in this thread that, of the 52 #76 picks, only 19 have ever made it to the majors, 3 of which performed at a high level. The 3 players that have performed at a high level skew the mean quite a bit. Both the median and the mode are zero, and IMO both are more appropriate than the mean when discussing what the likely result is. The chances of this particular pick being a one win player is actually pretty low. We traded a remote chance at getting a Giancarlo Stanton in exchange for two prospects that are progressing well, and have at least as good a chance as the #76 pick has to make the majors; plus $3 million in salary savings.

You are ignoring the additional pool money.

You can't just spend what you want anymore.

An addition 900K allotment for the draft can be huge.

Comparing a pick today to a pick five years ago is apples and oranges, the game has changed.

You are ignoring the additional pool money.

You can't just spend what you want anymore.

An addition 900K allotment for the draft can be huge.

Comparing a pick today to a pick five years ago is apples and oranges, the game has changed.

I think what some might say is that the moneyball of Duquette is that an expenditure of picks and pool monies on players more likely to help the team earlier is a method. Whether he is correct or not. Or whether the players closer ever pan out as well.

Archived