Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are ignoring the additional pool money.

You can't just spend what you want anymore.

An addition 900K allotment for the draft can be huge.

Comparing a pick today to a pick five years ago is apples and oranges, the game has changed.

No, I'm really not. The most likely career WAR for the pick we trade is zero. No matter how much you yell and scream that DD is ruining the franchise, that remains the most likely result.

I think what some might say is that the moneyball of Duquette is that an expenditure of picks and pool monies on players more likely to help the team earlier is a method. Whether he is correct or not. Or whether the players closer ever pan out as well.

I understand that, I was just pointing out that you can't ignore the added value of picks now that the pool exists.

No, I'm really not. The most likely career WAR for the pick we trade is zero. No matter how much you yell and scream that DD is ruining the franchise, that remains the most likely result.

It isn't that simple.

Along with the pick comes over 800K in cap room (which translates to 900K when you add in the allowed 10% overage). The money is tied to the team signing the pick but the player doesn't have to receive all the money. There is undoubtedly value in being able to move around 800K to other selections in the draft.

We're going to be the Braves in 5 years. DD is going to leave he farm in shambles.

When will we ever be competitive again? This team just continues to be one of the worst in MLB.....and we NEVER develop or acquire any talent! I can't think of one guy on the major league roster that would crack the top 10 in their position!

What exactly are you questioning? It's not stuck to political purposes only anymore. Can be used to describe ones POV. "Braves in 5 years" is a nice slogan but empty as a barrel.

Let's permit all viewpoints to live as one. And evaluate the quality of the view, not the poster or the viewee.

I understand that, I was just pointing out that you can't ignore the added value of picks now that the pool exists.

I know. Even though I have replied to you I was not directing any instructions or commentary specifically your way.

I know. Even though I have replied to you I was not directing any instructions or commentary specifically your way.

Sorry, can be hard to tell.

You and I have been discussing the implications of the draft pool for years.

I still think fans are drastically underestimating its importance.

It isn't that simple.

Along with the pick comes over 800K in cap room (which translates to 900K when you add in the allowed 10% overage). The money is tied to the team signing the pick but the player doesn't have to receive all the money. There is undoubtedly value in being able to move around 800K to other selections in the draft.

Totally understand that. The most likely result is still zero.

Since 1965, that's 50 drafts, only five players (Giancarlo Stanton - 2007 - 25.5 WAR, Nick Hundley - 2005 - 7.1 WAR, Chase Utley - 1997 - 63.7 WAR, Marquis Grissom - 1988 - 29.4 WAR, and Dan Pasqua 1992 - 10.8 WAR have produced more than two WAR over their careers.

Time to take a giant chill pill over losing the draft pick. The 76th pick is basically a crap shoot low end lottery ticket.

Duquette made the team stronger by getting rid of an ineffective pitcher, saved 3 Million dollars that can be used elsewhere and got two minor league pitchers who have pitched well for depth.

This is a good deal!

Since 1965, that's 50 drafts, only five players (Giancarlo Stanton - 2007 - 25.5 WAR, Nick Hundley - 2005 - 7.1 WAR, Chase Utley - 1997 - 63.7 WAR, Marquis Grissom - 1988 - 29.4 WAR, and Dan Pasqua 1992 - 10.8 WAR have produced more than two WAR over their careers.

Time to take a giant chill pill over losing the draft pick. The 76th pick is basically a crap shoot low end lottery ticket.

Duquette made the team stronger by getting rid of an ineffective pitcher, saved 3 Million dollars that can be used elsewhere and got two minor league pitchers who have pitched well for depth.

This is a good deal!

:agree: Well said.

Totally understand that. The most likely result is still zero.

The odds are good you are correct if the Braves are foolish enough to just pay all their draftees their slot allotments.

I don't think that is going to be the case.

It shouldn't have been the case for the O's if they had kept the pick.

Extra money means increased opportunities for creativity.

It isn't that simple.

The draft is mostly a crap shoot. Sure, that 800K could be used for good or it could be used to draft and sign a Josh Hart, Conner Narron, Michael Olhman, or Cameron Coffey. DD has also brought guys into the system like Chris Lee, David Hale, Ariel Miranda, Joe Gunkel through trades, international signings and DFA claims to add to the depth. The draft is only one way to get players and it's a traditional crap shoot. DD is looking for other ways to offset that risk and has done a great job or bringing in depth guys and guys that will help this organization at some point.

The Gallardo signing was a panic move and that one I didn't agree with. He wasn't a guy you give up the 15th overall pick for. But the 76th pick? I'll trade that to help my ballclub everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

This is a good deal!

I think you're spot on.

Archived