Adam Jones really looks lost at the plate.

flaoriolesfan

Adam Jones has gotten unlucky. His batted balls are of significantly higher quality this year over last year, you would expect his in game performance to have gone up. It hasn?t. It hasn?t at all. Somehow, he has managed to put up pretty atrocious numbers through the first quarter of the season, but this isn?t going to last. His average exit velocity is up from 89 to 92mph, value hit rate up from 7.7 to 10.6%. That boils down to a .366 xOBA and .303 xBABIP. His batted balls, you?d expect, should result in surging power numbers with a relatively constant batting average. He put up numbers like this back in 2012, when he bat .287/.334/.505 with .361 wOBA, perhaps the best season of his career to date. Those are the sorts of number you?d expect from his current batted ball production. Adam Jones has had some bad luck, but he has played very well. Don?t give up on him, he is going to turn it around and you might see some career numbers at the end of the season.

Expected: .280/.333/.516

To date: .227/.283/.364

Career: .277/.318/.459

I mean, sure they have their "facts", but I've been watching the game and he's been lost up there. LOST. Who cares if he's actually been hitting the ball better? My eyes man. They never lie.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'm being facetious, but Adam's defending the strikeout propensity of the team (he basically says that power hitters strike out a lot, that's just the way it is, and fans just have to accept that), as he and teammates constantly get themselves out swinging at pitches nowhere near the strike zone, while Kim actually does what hitters should do (makes pitchers throw strikes to get him out), despite rarely playing, bugs the heck out of me. Adam is wrong - power hitting doesn't have to translate to extremely high strikeout rates. There have even been hitters who hit 30+ homers with less than 30 strikeouts. How did they do that? By making pitchers throw strikes. It's not complicated. Of our 37 strikeouts in the last two games, most came on pitches nowhere near the zone, as were many of the pitches that got those counts to two strikes. That's not defensible, IMO - it's simply bad hitting.

Yes, I'm being facetious, but Adam's defending the strikeout propensity of the team (he basically says that power hitters strike out a lot, that's just the way it is, and fans just have to accept that), as he and teammates constantly get themselves out swinging at pitches nowhere near the strike zone, while Kim actually does what hitters should do (makes pitchers throw strikes to get him out), despite rarely playing, bugs the heck out of me. Adam is wrong - power hitting doesn't have to translate to extremely high strikeout rates. There have even been hitters who hit 30+ homers with less than 30 strikeouts. How did they do that? By making pitchers throw strikes. It's not complicated. Of our 37 strikeouts in the last two games, most came on pitches nowhere near the zone, as were many of the pitches that got those counts to two strikes. That's not defensible, IMO - it's simply bad hitting.

When was the last time this happened? 1940s?

Mike Trout strikes out 150+ times per season. 184 times in 2014.

With 83 walks and a .377 OBP, his worst full season OBP (his other OBP seasons were .399, .432, and .402.) He's apparently allowing plenty of non-strikes to go by.

Palmeiro's worst K total as an Oriole was 95 in 1996, the year he hit 40 homers.

Frank Robinson struck out exactly 100 times once in his career, every other year was less. Career OBP was .389.

With 83 walks and a .377 OBP, his worst full season OBP (his other OBP seasons were .399, .432, and .402.) He's apparently allowing plenty of non-strikes to go by.

Palmeiro's worst K total as an Oriole was 95 in 1996, the year he hit 40 homers.

Frank Robinson struck out exactly 100 times once in his career, every other year was less. Career OBP was .389.

It's almost as if the game has changed since Frank Robinson played.

If you can guarantee that our players would not be caught the way Bonds was not, I'm in.

You should start a thread where you propose we replace our star centerfielder, who clearly is a terrible leader since he defended his teammates when the were struggling, with someone who plays as well as the greatest player of all time but without cheating or being an unlikeable asshole.

Wow he is only 30

you think he will have value for 4 more years

He has an OPS of .718 over his last 111 games going back to July 1 of last year.

even worse if you just look at this year.

Not too worried about cherry-picked stats like that. Jones has had hot first halves some years, hot second halves other years. He had his 2016 OPS up to about .750 about 2 weeks ago, and now he's hit a cold spell and is back down, but I have confidence he will get his act together and put up solid numbers over the full season.

You should start a thread where you propose we replace our star centerfielder, who clearly is a terrible leader since he defended his teammates when the were struggling, with someone who plays as well as the greatest player of all time but without cheating or being an unlikeable asshole.

Na, we could never afford that guy. Our team plays in a sub-prime market.

Archived