TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's been plenty of condescension to go around in this thread. Such as when you told me "You are acting ridiculous. One of the most difficult things around here about being a realist is dealing with those of you who are not".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Would you like some "Whamburgers and French cries" with that? lol

We are a good team with bad SP. If we could upgrade the SP to mediocre we'd be a very good team

Our win/loss record suggests we are already a very good team, who could be a great team with a starting pitching upgrade. Or improved performance sans upgrade.

The ORioles starting pitching won't remain that bad, especially since Tillman and Gausman should pitch better. The question is, will the Orioles be able to complete a decent rotation with the likes of Gallardo, Jimenez, Miranda, Wilson, Wright and possibly Gunkle and Aquino as candidates?

Tell you what, Miguel Gonzalez's 4.88 ERA and Bud Norris' 4.50 ERA as a starter would make them our 3rd and 4th best starters. And don't get me started on DD throwing away Zach Davies last year. Even after his last poor start his 4.22 ERa would look pretty damn good. Now clearly two of these guys pitch in the NL and I'm not saying their ERA's would be the same here, but those three have kept there teams in games more times than not, which is something that can't be said for Gallardo, Jimenez and Wright.

My guess is that Wilson comes back after the All-Star break and gets another chance. At this point, I'm ABJ (Anyone But Jimenez).

Bud Norris would have been long gone the way he started the season everyone would have ran him out of town with his April. There is no way a team like the Orioles trying to compete would have let him stay on the team after April and stayed on this team. Heck the Braves had to take him out of rotation after April and only injuries did he rejoin rotation. If he was with us at 2.5 million he would have been released and rightfully so.

I think almost all teams are medicore this season and that includes the Cubs. They started out hot but they have a losing record vs teams above .500 They have a great record because of beating up on the Reds, Brewers Phils, and Braves.

Bud Norris would have been long gone the way he started the season everyone would have ran him out of town with his April. There is no way a team like the Orioles trying to compete would have let him stay on the team after April and stayed on this team. Heck the Braves had to take him out of rotation after April and only injuries did he rejoin rotation. If he was with us at 2.5 million he would have been released and rightfully so.

Two starts only. No competitive team would have had the patience.

I think almost all teams are medicore this season and that includes the Cubs. They started out hot but they have a losing record vs teams above .500 They have a great record because of beating up on the Reds, Brewers Phils, and Braves.

Wow, and here we are being told they are the greatest, just like the 73-9 warriors and now the new warriors who haven't won a thing with Durant yet. Weren't the Nationals supposed to win multiple World Series also. Wasn't aware they're below .500 against plus competition thanks for the info.

Two starts only. No competitive team would have had the patience.

He made 5 starts in April for the Braves.

7 Ip 3ER

5Ip 5ER

5.1Ip 4ER

4Ip 5ER

1.1 IP ER

In those 5 starts his ERA was 8.74. He would have been released or getting the Matusz treatment with pitching just in blow outs. Most likely released though with those type numbers and only making 2 million.

This a team of peaks and valleys, I think we all know that. Valleys suck. Hopefully the turnaround starts tonight. The rotation has been pretty brutal lately, that's for sure.

He made 5 starts in April for the Braves.

7 Ip 3ER

5Ip 5ER

5.1Ip 4ER

4Ip 5ER

1.1 IP ER

In those 5 starts his ERA was 8.74. He would have been released or getting the Matusz treatment with pitching just in blow outs. Most likely released though with those type numbers and only making 2 million.

I meant were he an Oriole, he would have had two starts and would have been released.

Wow' date=' and here we are being told they are the greatest, just like the 73-9 warriors and now the new warriors who haven't won a thing with Durant yet. Weren't the Nationals supposed to win multiple World Series also. Wasn't aware they're below .500 against plus competition thanks for the info.[/quote']

I actually just checked again and they are above now because the Pirates just went back over .500 yesterday and they are 8-1 vs them but here are their records against other teams over .500

Cardinals 2-4

Giants 1-2

Dodgers 3-1

Marlins 1-3

Mets 0-4

Nats 5-2

Total 12-16

Obviously if I had a crystal ball and knew the Orioles would set a MLB record for home runs hit in a month and go as far as 16 games over .500 I would not have come to that assessment. They've given themselves a huge lead to win closer to 90 games this year, but I still would not be surprised if they ended up an 87-88 win team. The one thing they have him going for them is the Division being really weak. I still think Boston ends up in front of the Orioles by the end of the year. Hope I'm wrong though.

I didn't predict the Orioles to set that record either. Doubt anyone did. But that power is part of what makes them better than mediocre. That power is what will continue to win some games.

I have always seen "mediocre" as an insult. To me, it's a team .500 and under. (I guess when you get to .450, that would be considered a "bad" team.) Since you have adjusted their projected win total to 87 - 90, can we all get past calling them mediocre for a bit? They are a good team. Some weaknesses, sure, but a good team nonetheless.

Well, there are 4 buckets to me when it comes to evaluating a team:

Starting pitching

Defense

Bullpen

Offense

To me, if we were going to grade them (I'm changing my defense ranking a bit after doing more research) from bad, good, great:

Starting pitching: bad

Defense: good

Bullpen: great (although has been trending to good with O'Day gone)

Offense: great

So, I think it's clear that they're not mediocre (per se)...but the pitching is really dragging them down....so people could make the case that they're heading in that direction.

Hey, I did it to Ryan Mountcastle earlier in the year so why not to the Orioles? It's a gift! lol

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this run and hope it keeps up, but this year's team and how it's put together suggests a swoon will come again. Let's hope they can limit those down times and stay as consistent as they can.

A swoon will unquestionably come, because there are still more than 100 games that are left to be played.

They question is, will the swoon(s) be so long and hurtful that it will have the Orioles sitting at or only slightly above .500 by mid-September ???

They just had a swoon (the 5-game losing streak.)

The Orioles are still in decent position, at 49-35 overall.

How many more swoons will there be, and how long will they last ???

Archived