Steel Cage Match: Zito vs. Hampton

Moose Milligan

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20399&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Right now, I think the Hampton is the worse of the two....but when it's all said and done, I think it'll be Zito.

Any way you cut it, both colossal wastes of money.

Good thing I'm not the O's GM! I'd have sold the farm for Zito. After he was signed I started reading rumors about just how high-maintenance he is, needing constant counseling from his pitching coach, constant attention between starts, constant work on mechanics, etc.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20399&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Right now, I think the Hampton is the worse of the two....but when it's all said and done, I think it'll be Zito.

Any way you cut it, both colossal wastes of money.

NO way does Hampton have the worst contract. The only way is if the Rockies didnt have insurance on his contract. I am pretty sure he was covered.

Zito is going to be the worst contract in sports history.

In todays market you have to grow your own pitchers.

Zito looks to be the worst deal right now, but he could conceivably (not likely) bounce back and at least be a decent SP. Hampton was either bad or injured for nearly his entire contract. It'll depend on how much insurance money the teams collected on Hampton's deal and how much (if at all) Zito can bounce back.

Zito's was clearly the dumber contract the day it was signed though. Not many people expected Hampton to implode, whereas many thought Zito would be no better than an average starter going forward.

I remember saying any potential contract to Zito would be a god-awful decision back before he signed and getting neg reped for it. Apparently my arguments that his trends looked bad and that he had pitched so many innings were actually not a good thing going forward because he'd either be due for an injury or a big decline were ridiculous. :)

Hampton wins this hands down. Zito was actually mediocre last year 4.53 ERA, but has been awful this year. Obviously the insane contract makes this a horrible signing, but I think Zito could still be a mediocre pitcher and actually not be a complete waste of money like Hampton was/is.

Hampton wins this hands down. Zito was actually mediocre last year 4.53 ERA, but has been awful this year. Obviously the insane contract makes this a horrible signing, but I think Zito could still be a mediocre pitcher and actually not be a complete waste of money like Hampton was/is.

Zito has a 7 years/$126M contract --- 18 million a season

Hampton has a 8 years/$121M contract --- 15.125 million a season

Zito had an ERA+ of 98 which is below average.

Hampton had an ERA+ of 98 in his first season of the contract (very interesting)

Hamptons other ERA+ were 78, 112, and 101

Hampton has been on the DL for 2005, 06, 07, and the start of 08. These are his highest paid years all cover somewhat by insurance.

Barry Zito is going to be average at best (around 100 ERA+), but by the way he is pitching right now he is below replacement level. Of course he is getting 17.7 million more than a minor league pitcher.

Zito needs to go to the minors and work on his stuff. You can't throw 85 mph with a flat fastball that isn't down.

Hands down Zito is the worst contract of all time.

Good thing I'm not the O's GM! I'd have sold the farm for Zito. After he was signed I started reading rumors about just how high-maintenance he is, needing constant counseling from his pitching coach, constant attention between starts, constant work on mechanics, etc.

I am so glad we did not get Pavano...Delgado...Konerko...

Archived