Dan Duquette: Os to Be Active in Trade Market

weams

I still say it will be the Marlins.

That's a lot of salary with him and Stanton. Though I'm sure Stanton has an opt-out built in there somewhere. But Manny does seem to love Miami a lot, it does make a bit of sense.

Some folks are calling for him to resign.

Some folks need to get a grip. I see a lot of whining about him and the farm system. What farm system? At what point over the past 25 years has the farm system ever been a strength for this team? It's the same as it's always been, mediocre to pretty bad.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be happy to move Trumbo, preferably back at the end of May. His seasonal splits are amazingly consistently bad for the 2nd half of the season.

I would trade him for a Logan Verrett - like pitcher, or package him with a MiL of value for a slightly better starter, or trade him straight up for a salary dump pitcher or a pitcher in his walk year.

Reimold to RF. Alvarez (whose seasonal splits favor him heating up for the 2nd half) to DH. We don't lose much, in fact we quite possibly win, in terms of production over the 2nd half of the season and add a starter.

That's absolutely correct.

But at the same time it's difficult to maintain decorum when you post inflammatory provocations like considering Duquette a negligent failure for not winning the Series.

If someone judges winning the WS to be the only valid hallmark of a successful season, then how can they make it as a baseball fan? Of ANY team that's not the NYY or the Cardinals (who are the only teams that have won 10+ WS, and thus are the teams that win it most often)?

There are 30 teams total in the MLB, so all things being even (they're not, but say they are for the sake of argument) you should realistically expect your team to bring home the WS championship 1/30th of the time, or once every three decades.

If you're someone who requires their team to win the sport's ultimate title more often... well, maybe baseball just isn't your sport. :)

If someone judges winning the WS to be the only valid hallmark of a successful season, then how can they make it as a baseball fan? Of ANY team that's not the NYY or the Cardinals (who are the only teams that have won 10+ WS, and thus are the teams that win it most often)?

There are 30 teams total in the MLB, so all things being even (they're not, but say they are for the sake of argument) you should realistically expect your team to bring home the WS championship 1/30th of the time, or once every three decades.

If you're someone who requires their team to win the sport's ultimate title more often... well, maybe baseball just isn't your sport. :)

I think what makes a successful franchise is to be in the hunt year after year. That includes building the minors. DD has competed every other year but has depleted the minors. You want to see a model of success, look at the Packers or Ravens. Of course, that may not be fair as there is no salary cap in baseball. But, DD has built a house of cards and I fear it's going to fall shortly.

DD screwed us bad on the SP front. Terrible. Everything he touches falls to crap in the starting pitching front.

How do we right the ship?

We probably have to trade one of Schoop or Trumbo.

Would you do it? Who would you target?

Do you trust DD to execute?

We ALL love Trumbo and Schoop. But Trumbo always tends to tail off and can he really stay this hot?

I much rather keep Schoop, but we need pitching and I am open to anything because right now, the Blue Jays will win the division IMO. Best pitching in the AL East right now and they will probably be big movers at the deadline.

I think it is time for some people to step away from the keyboard.

We are without the back up catcher due to injury and have a replacement that is learning on the fly.

I must say, I like Pena! I only see two, three games a week but he's a good catcher! Like you say, learning. But learning from Matt. John Russel. Buck. I am DEATHLY sorry for what Caleb went through. He went under the knife. :eektf:

But it did give Fran

a chance to learn and show what he's got. If he can hit any...

I don't think that the only way to win is to trade away currently valuable pieces. The other team is trying to win, too, or at least gain an advantage in the trade. Trumbo is out of contract in four months, you're not getting a top pitcher back for that unless he's also out of contract or has lots of warts. Schoop would open a hole on both offense and defense for years to come. You hope to stabilize the rotation while detracting from the team on the other side.

The only way you're a good bet to improve is to trade away something that's not currently adding value to performance for something that is. So that's a) prospects and/or b) money.

Again, this is just not how things are done! You do not subtract from a contending team by moving starters. The Orioles will look for a salary dump. They should have some money to do so after dumping Matusz.

I don't think Drungo acts condescending at all.

I do sometimes post against my better judgment and probably come across as condescending, especially to those who I think defend unsubstantiated (or -able) positions too vehemently. I also say many things in jest that are taken the wrong way. We all have our failings.

I do sometimes post against my better judgment and probably come across as condescending, especially to those who I think defend unsubstantiated (or -able) positions too vehemently. I also say many things in jest that are taken the wrong way. We all have our failings.

I meant compared to me. ;)

That's a lot of salary with him and Stanton. Though I'm sure Stanton has an opt-out built in there somewhere. But Manny does seem to love Miami a lot, it does make a bit of sense.

Some folks need to get a grip. I see a lot of whining about him and the farm system. What farm system? At what point over the past 25 years has the farm system ever been a strength for this team? It's the same as it's always been, mediocre to pretty bad.

Haven't thought about the farm system. But your are right. It hasn't been good

for a long time.

As do, every other poster in OH, :):):)

Stanton's contract has a 6 year opt out and he can opt out in 210 but its also very back ended.

But, he would also be walking away from 218 million and earned just 107 million

Yet you constantly attack me because I actually care about the outcomes of games. If it were possible to display hypocrisy as a work of art in a museum, this would be the Mona Lisa.

This is what I mean when I say its sometimes challenging to be civil in the face of intentionally provocative (or incredibly tone deaf) posts.

If you're posting here you care about the outcome of the games. You're not special, you're just like the rest of us in that regard.

I don't attack you about caring, I take issue with hyperbolic nonsense stated with great conviction.

Archived