Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pitching around Soto and Rendon meant putting the tying run and winning run on base. 

See what I mean about Hyde’s logic. 

I'm ok with that approach.  It's "logical" to me to try to make the perfect pitch and not give in to either Rendon or Soto.  Cabrera is a lesser hitter as you have noted above.  I thought the battle with Eaton was crucial to making that decision however.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Harvey reminded me of Darren O'Day at his best.  Not the 99mph.  But the confidence on not giving in to hitters and then getting the guy he needed to get.

That is a great comparison. O'Day had great confidence to pitch around a guy and then throw strikes to the next guy with the game on the line. With guys like Mike Wright, you get the feeling that they will groove one just to get a tough AB over with. There is a difference between being careful with a guy with an open base and walking guys due to lack of command.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

I'm ok with that approach.  It's "logical" to me to try to make the perfect pitch and not give in to either Rendon or Soto.  Cabrera is a lesser hitter as you have noted above.  I thought the battle with Eaton was crucial to making that decision however.

Idk about Hyde’s logic. How are you building confidence by saying pitch around these two batters?  

Why not pitch to Rendon and if he hits one out then the score is only 2-2?

Then from a high pitch count in one inning viewpoint... You’re walking two guys to start a batter while you’re P is at 30 pitches for the inning. So you’re not going to pull a P in the middle of an AB. So what if Cabrera has a longer AB?  At what point does Hyde get uncomfortable?  A 7-8 pitch AB?

It’s just not sound logic by Hyde. Winning game wise or development wise. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Idk about Hyde’s logic. How are you building confidence by saying pitch around these two batters?  

Then from a high pitch count in one inning viewpoint... You’re walking two guys to start a batter while you’re P is at 30 pitches for the inning. So you’re not going to pull a P in the middle of an AB. So what if Cabrera has a longer AB?  At what point does Hyde get uncomfortable?  A 7-8 pitch AB?

I thought he tried to get Rendon but with pitcher's pitches.  Soto was four balls so he was still "relatively fresh".  I am sure Hyde was questioning his "logic" but it all worked out.  It was great theater and a great moment in this unusual season to me.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sorry for calling him an idiot.

What about Hyde’s decision to leave DJ Stewart in the game as well?

Just to point out the irony... Calling Hyde an idiot is “too tough”, but Hyde risking our players physical health is just “testing them”.   

Hyde also got into a very public dust up with Chris Davis. I guess that’s ok because it’s the whipping boy Chris Davis. 

Let’s just say Hyde isn’t making the best of decisions over the last couple of weeks. 

He is a rookie manager.

He wants all these guys to succeed, so maybe he lets them play the game they love for too long?

Harvey is one reason to watch this team into September, for sure.  I do believe we've got a closer for 2020, so long as he stays healthy.  If they don't start him off as the closer next season I don't think it'll be too long before they move him into that role.  Seems to have a bulldog mentality, won't back down and give in to anyone.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m hoping he won’t get shut down at all, but he might.   He’s at 79.2 innings right now between the majors and the minors.    This after throwing 63.2 combined in 2015-18.     My guess is that as long as he’s not looking like he’s losing anything, they’ll let him pitch another 8-10 innings, nicely spaced out.   

Yeah. I would not see that there would be any benefit to limiting him. He is not that type of prospect now. 

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Harvey is one reason to watch this team into September, for sure.  I do believe we've got a closer for 2020, so long as he stays healthy.  If they don't start him off as the closer next season I don't think it'll be too long before they move him into that role.  Seems to have a bulldog mentality, won't back down and give in to anyone.  

But did he "earn" his callup by mastering his levels?  If not, they lied to us again!  ?  And what about Mountcastle - huh?  ?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Givens is the closer again to start 2020 with hopes he can have a better first half and be flipped at the deadline (where he would fetch more than in the winter). Then, if Harvey is throwing well, he can assume the closer's role. But I do agree that Harvey is showing stuff to be an effective late game pitcher, which is promising since I had all but written him off. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I think Givens is the closer again to start 2020 with hopes he can have a better first half and be flipped at the deadline (where he would fetch more than in the winter). Then, if Harvey is throwing well, he can assume the closer's role. But I do agree that Harvey is showing stuff to be an effective late game pitcher, which is promising since I had all but written him off. 

I don't entirely disagree but I think one of the things we've learned this year is that Givens, unfortunately, isn't closer material.  Now maybe they work on some stuff with him over the winter and maybe he comes roaring out of the gates next year as a revamped guy and is slamming the door left and right.  But I think he's shown everyone so far that he can be a solid bullpen piece but not quite a guy you can trust to slam the door.  

That's not to say Harvey is all those things just yet but I think Harvey, if he has a strong September and ST 2020, deserves to get a shot.

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

But did he "earn" his callup by mastering his levels?  If not, they lied to us again!  ?  And what about Mountcastle - huh?  ?

I think they had to put Harvey on the 40 man and call him up due to contractual obligations.  Pretty sure I am wrong about that.

Not to derail, but Mountcastle needs a callup in September.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The "strategy" won the game. It is illogical to argue that the strategy was not sound logic "winning game wise" when they won the freaking game. Sometimes the hypotheticals get so convoluted that we miss the obvious: They won the freaking game. Questioning 30+ pitches is legit, IMO, but acting like having the most talented pitcher in the bullpen face the top of the order is illogical is not legit. Acting like allowing your future closer to face the meat of an order in a tense moment is illogical is not legit. Hopefully Harvey is going to be in those situations when the games mean a lot to us Oriole fans. I think he will be the closer next year after Givens is traded. I think the Orioles are very confident that he is healthy and that he can handle it. And I loved the strikeouts! I want to be entertained! :) (cue the Gladiator clip)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bobmc said:

Harvey, on whether he had any issues throwing so many pitches: ) No, I dont think so. I started at the beginning of the year, so I was throwing 95 pitches in four, five, six innings, so I feel pretty good, and nothing feels out of the ordinary.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/aaron-brooks-with-six-scoreless-as-os-blank-washington-2-0.html

o

Just one time, I would lover for a pitcher to say something like ........ "I had absolutely nothing left. I don't know what the hell the manager was doing by leaving me in there. It was nothing more than pure luck that I managed to get out of the situation with the lead intact. I hope that he isn't asleep at the wheel on a consistent basis from here on out."

o

13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Just one time, I would lover for a pitcher to say something like ........ "I had absolutely nothing left. I don't know what the hell the manager was doing by leaving me in there. It was nothing more than pure luck that I managed to get out of the situation with the lead intact. I hope that he isn't asleep at the wheel on a consistent basis from here on out."

o

Mussina talks about his pitching in the 96 ALCS and that fateful game against the Yankees.

He said he was gassed and didnt have much left, but, he also understand Davey had a speant pen and didnt have much options for such a tight and gruelling ALCS game.

39 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The "strategy" won the game. It is illogical to argue that the strategy was not sound logic "winning game wise" when they won the freaking game. Sometimes the hypotheticals get so convoluted that we miss the obvious: They won the freaking game. Questioning 30+ pitches is legit, IMO, but acting like having the most talented pitcher in the bullpen face the top of the order is illogical is not legit. Acting like allowing your future closer to face the meat of an order in a tense moment is illogical is not legit. Hopefully Harvey is going to be in those situations when the games mean a lot to us Oriole fans. I think he will be the closer next year after Givens is traded. I think the Orioles are very confident that he is healthy and that he can handle it. And I loved the strikeouts! I want to be entertained! :) (cue the Gladiator clip)

Agree with your assessment - well said.  It was magical theater to me to see this happen so early in HH's career.  I was reading the Nat's side of MASN and Eaton had another different take on the AB.  He compared the two CH's HH threw and the thinking process he had knowing that HH had two pitches to use.  Pretty cool.  Also Cabrera's take was interesting.

“He’s throwing 99, so just missing it,” Eaton said. “And then I knew he had a changeup and a breaking ball. With those two pitches in my mind, in the back of my head, I kind of have to be in between. It’s kind of a crappy place to be. But when a guy’s throwing 99 with two pitches that he throws (more than 10 percent of the time), it’s kind of tough. The first changeup I saw was straight and kind of just went down. That was the one I fouled off. And then the one I struck out on had really good two-seam run and kind of went away from me. Credit to him.”

Back-to-back walks drawn by Anthony Rendon and Juan Soto kept the pressure on Harvey and brought Asdrúbal Cabrera to the plate with the bases loaded for the biggest at-bat of the night. But the veteran infielder, upset by umpire Jeremie Rehak’s strike two call on a pitch off the outside corner, struck out on a 99 mph fastball over the plate to kill the rally.

“As soon as he called that pitch (for strike two), I’m going to stay with my approach,” Cabrera said. “He threw a pitch right down the middle, and I missed it.”

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2019/08/red-hot-nationals-shut-out-by-orioles-in-2-0-loss.html