vs. RED SOX, 6/15

Sessh

Like I said, did I call him the MLB all time hit leader?

He's the all time hit leader now.

And I'm tickled that Rose lived long enough to see it.

So you are ok with college, minor league, and MLB stats compiled?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not worked up at all.

Here is a question, do you think that if Ichiro had been playing MLB since he was 18 that he would have, or be very close to, the MLB record?

You would have to think so. Just like Ted.

I'm not a huge Rose fan, but sure. But anyway, we aren't counting the foreign stats and we can't neutralize generational stats.

I love Rose and all of the Big red machine

I met Rose in Las Vegas 2 years ago. What a wonderful young man

I'm not counting stats he doesn't have.

I'm counting stats he does have.

And where exactly did I say MLB hit leader?

That's right, I didn't.

Maybe if Ichirio finds himself an owner that will let him install himself as a player/manager and he can bat himself leadoff for a few more years he can be the MLB leader as well.

Do you honestly think Rose was the hitter Ichiro is?

I never saw Rose play but I don't see how he's not the better hitter. Basically every stat favors Rose except batting average.

I'm not worked up at all.

Here is a question, do you think that if Ichiro had been playing MLB since he was 18 that he would have, or be very close to, the MLB record?

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

My point is that he didn't accumulate those stats in the major leagues, so they don't count toward MLB records. We don't count minor league stats for guys who may have been blocked for a few years. When looking at career leaderboards, I wouldn't count Kim's Korean stats. Sure the NPB is a better league, but rather than getting into that sort of debate, doesn't it just make more sense to only consider MLB numbers for the MLB record book?

If you want to call him the hit leader across various professional leagues, that's your prerogative, but typically I think most people think of MLB numbers when they talk about career numbers. That's all I took issue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Yeah ….totally agree! We can cut Kimbrel loose and acquire another closer.
    • Opportunity Cost and the importance of dry powder...  Also makes me wonder how Cease was valued...
    • I feel like plays like these have been a part of his entire tenure here. He has the speed but not the mental game. I expect him to be gone once Hays is ready.
    • The Orioles have gone 103 consecutive RS series without being swept, spanning 322 games including series of: 2 G: 8 times 3 G: 75 4 G: 19 5 G: 1 If the games were decided by coin flip, the odds of this occurring randomly would be approximately 1 in 785,670. In addition, the Orioles have now staved off a sweep in a regular-season series finale 13 times: 5/19/22 NYY 9-6 6/22/22 Was 7-0 7/3/22 Min 3-1 9/18/22 Tor 5-4 9/21/22 Det 8-1 5/28/23 Tex 3-2 6/8/23 Mil 6-3 6/18/23 ChC 6-3 7/2/23 Min 2-1 7/19/23 LAD 8-5 8/10/23 Hou 5-4 4/14/24 Mil 6-4 5/8/24 Was 7-6 It's amazing that they've gone 13-0 in such games, but it might be even more impressive (qualitatively, because the assumptions of defining a non-coin-flip model are truly daunting) that they've only gone to a win-or-be-swept finale 13 times when expectation by coin flip would be 25.1875.
    • The money is sunk at this point, but I don't think any polar answer is optimal here.  Bullpen by committee until someone emerges.  It's a little more difficult with the 3-batter rule, but that's how they need to roll and I credit Hyde for being ready with the quick hook for the last 10 days or so.
    • Great sequence in the 10th where Mateo singled, driving in Westburg, stole 2nd and went to 3rd on the overthrow.  Then Mateo scored on a wild pitch.  I've joined the Mateo fan club, at least as a utility player.  Having Mateo on base has to drive pitchers crazy.
    • As someone that was all for DFA’ing McKenna for Hicks last week, I really can’t fault him for tonight.   I’m impressed he stole the base. He sort of had to run there with two outs. He stole it. He just came off the bag. That happens.  The route may have not been the best because he was going to his left and as a RH thrower he was just trying to position himself to throw home. He doesn’t have Vlad Sr’s arm out there. That’s a .01% chance play there.  Our CF depth is pretty thin. I think the only way we DFA McKenna is if Hicks comes here. Kjerstad will be the one to go for Hays. Remember last August when at full strength/healthy Mullins, and only a 26 man roster, we rolled with a 4 man bench of McCann, Hicks, Mateo, Urias/Frazier/Westburg.  Oddly, we’re deep enough into the season, and CF depth is thin, that I’d say there’s a 50/50 shot McKenna doesn’t clear waivers. I don’t know we have the luxury of CF depth to DFA him w/o Hicks in the mix. 
  • Popular Contributors