Oliver Drake's role

Aristotelian

What Is Drake's Likely Role?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Drake's Likely Role?

• Back to Norfolk as soon as Worley, O'Day, or Duensing is Healthy
    • Option Givens; Drake becomes a 6th/7th bridge guy
    • DFA Duensing even if healthy - who needs a LOOGY when you have a poor man's Koji
    • Ubaldo will shock the world and stay in the rotation; Drake can be a long man
    • Trade bait for a SP

Along with Pedro's homers, Drake was a clear bright spot lost in last night's loss. He was looking like a poor man's Koji with that splitter dropping in for strikes and missing bats. He has dominated AAA for two years straight. Only knock I see is that he has a fairly high BB/9. He struggled with command in his brief stint in MLB last year, and had 1 BB in 2 innings last night (no hits allowed).

However, as well all know the bullpen has a bit of a roster crunch. He was brought up when news broke that Duensing may be unavailable, though he has not been moved to the DL. That raises the question of what pieces would have to move for him to stick. Some of the variables in play are Duensing, O'Day, and Worley coming back, which could force him back to Norfolk, and/or Givens being optioned or Ubaldo pitching will enough to stay in the rotation.

I am curious as to thoughts on Drake's medium to long term role. What is the most likely scenario for him to stick around, or is he gone as soon as somebody gets healthy?

Britton hit 98 last night-I am not worried about him physically at all. He just needed to get mechanically back in the groove. Givens had a rough outing, but he isn't going anywhere. I expect O'Day to be fine when he returns. The Orioles are luckily deep from the right side with Drake and Chaz Roe ready to be called upon if needed. IF the rotation can be made more respectable and consistent, our bullpen will continue to be a strength.

Britton - 9th

Brach - 8th

O'Day - 7th

Givens - 6th

Tolliver/Duensing/TJ - LHP

Bundy - Long-1

Worley/Despaigne/Drake - Long-2

It appears that for Drake to stick, at least one of O'Day and Worley will need to stay injured, Ubaldo would have to stay in the rotation, and Drake would still have to leapfrog over Despaigne for the last spot.

One key advantage of Tolliver, Duensing, TJ, Despaigne, and Drake is that all of those guys have options. If you had two spots, you could in effect have an 8 or 9 man bullpen by shuttling them around. Unfortunately, if Worley and O'Day both come back, you would have much less flexibility, unless you could make Givens part of the shuttle group.

Archived