Managers Effect on Winning

brianod

Conventional wisdom is that managers don't have that much of an effect on winning. I think our series against Tampa Bay belies that. It is obvious to me that the Orioles are out performing their talent. It is also obvious to me that Tampa has lost their magic. Is Tampa that much worse, when it comes to talent then they used to be? I guess you could make that case but it's the same gm, the same formula and they are not succeeding. You look at the O's and they are defying odds. You can't win with one of the wosrt rotations in baseball, can you? Apparently, yes you can. So, even though the formulas don't show it, I believe managers can make much more of a difference than given credit for.

Conventional wisdom is that managers don't have that much of an effect on winning. I think our series against Tampa Bay belies that. It is obvious to me that the Orioles are out performing their talent. It is also obvious to me that Tampa has lost their magic. Is Tampa that much worse, when it comes to talent then they used to be? I guess you could make that case but it's the same gm, the same formula and they are not succeeding. You look at the O's and they are defying odds. You can't win with one of the wosrt rotations in baseball, can you? Apparently, yes you can. So, even though the formulas don't show it, I believe managers can make much more of a difference than given credit for.

I don't see how Tampa Bay's struggles is Cash's fault. The Rays have been crippled by injuries and they're fielding essentially a AAA lineup at the moment. If Trumbo, Wieters, Davis and Schoop all had missed 20+ games with injuries, the Orioles would have a terrible record as well.

I don't see how Tampa Bay's struggles is Cash's fault. The Rays have been crippled by injuries and they're fielding essentially a AAA lineup at the moment. If Trumbo, Wieters, Davis and Schoop all had missed 20+ games with injuries, the Orioles would have a terrible record as well.

I'm not blaming it on Cash. I'm saying that Madden elevated the talent given to a very large extent. I'm also saying the Buck does to. The conventional wisdom is that a good manager might get you 2-4 games. I think we are seeing that that is wrong in special cases.

Archived