If The O's Play the Wild Card Game, Who Do You Want to Pitch?

Aristotelian

If The O's Play the Wild Card Game, Who Do You Want to Pitch?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If The O's Play the Wild Card Game, Who Do You Want to Pitch?

• Gausman. Go with the hottest hand.
    • Tillman. Our most consistent, winningest pitcher over the course of the season.
    • Bundy. Most dominating when on.
    • Someone else. DD may still make a trade.

This poll is closed to new votes

If it's a dog fight to even win a wild card birth then this will be a moot point because Buck will pitch his best guys to secure the spot. Having said that I think you have to go with Tillman. He is the veteran and I trust him.

This is true. If it comes down to the last series, it may have to wind up being whoever's turn it is to go... The WC game is only two days after the final regular season game.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember thinking that starting Saunders wasn't going to end well for us. The baseball gods, man, they have a way of messing with us, lol.

Yeah, everyone (myself included) wanted Tillman, who had ended 2012 with a hot hand (9-3 in 15 starts, 2.93 ERA, 1.05 WHIP). But Buck went Saunders and it all worked out OK.

Tillman never did pitch in the 2012 playoffs.

I'd pitch Bundy for 2-3, Gausman for 2-3, Tillman (if healthy) for 2-3.

Then go top bullpen guys (Brach, Britton, O'Day (if healthy))

o

Somewhat similarly ........ Bundy for 3 innings, followed by Tillman for 5 or 6 more.

And most significantly ........ tell Bundy ahead of time that he is going 3 innings, and 3 innings only.

The Wildcard playoff game is one-and-done.

If we won the game with what I proposed, then we would just have to take our chances and muddle through the first 2 games of the A.L.D.S. without those 2 pitchers.

Tillman if healthy.

If not, whomever was pitching better leading up to it between Gausman or Bundy. Starting to look like Gausman as Bundy I think is fatigued and should be shut down.

I don't want Miley, Ubaldo or Gallardo even sniffing that game.

Ubaldo has some dang right nasty unhittable stuff, problem is, he throws too many clunkers between his good starts.

So...might as well go with Miley? Of course there is a luck aspect but you still do what you can to give you the best chance.

Miley is a lot like Joe Saunders. No, it's not like a probability question when you have only one game. If they are a pitcher, they have a 50% chance of being on the winning squad.

What are the odds we get the wild card and get to set up our rotation the way we want?

I'd call them, at the least, reasonable. Granted, the season could well come down to the final day. But if the Orioles were able to secure a spot in the WC game by Friday, Sept. 30 (through 160 games), they'd more or less be able to pitch whomever they liked come Tuesday, Oct. 4.

What are the odds we get the wild card and get to set up our rotation the way we want?

Slim. We have every reason to think that the wild card will come down to the last 1-3 games. We end our season on the road in Toronto and New York. It's not likely we'll be able to coast through those games.

Archived