Will the fans show?

Todd-O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of what you guys are saying has anything to do with cost of land or housing prices. The business district of downtown Atlanta may have been dead at night, but they all are. They're business districts. Wall Street is dead at night. You work during the day, and then go wherever you live afterwards. The business distracts aren't zoned for nightlife or housing. But no city is going to start knocking streets of 50 story office buildings for a stadium. And while there may some wealthy counties, that's not generally where 1%ers live. It just means that only boring middle class people live there. Rich people are paying $3MM for luxury 2 bedroom apartments in the city, and young professionals are paying $1,200 per room a month to have two roommates in a tiny place to be close to work and have the fast life. You pay $500-600K for a big plot of land in the suburbs, don't really land worth caring about for developers.

Where I live, an incubator company with wildly successful young entrepreneurs has the first floor of a magnificent high rise with historic architecture. The other floors have all been turned in to extremely modern, 650 square ft apartments with beautiful river and city views. Where they all live. Well, for the few hours each month that they sleep and entertain.

Not so long as the school systems in the urban areas stink. I'd love to live closer to work, but my wife working in Baltimore while I'm in DC and the need for decent schools doesn't make that possible.

That whole deal will be changing in your lifetime as well. I wish I could tell you about the things I have seen. When real estate values no longer fund the forced education system, the system will be quite different. Log on. To your first period class my friends.

None of what you guys are saying has anything to do with cost of land or housing prices. The business district of downtown Atlanta may have been dead at night, but they all are. They're business districts. Wall Street is dead at night. You work during the day, and then go wherever you live afterwards. The business distracts aren't zoned for nightlife or housing. But no city is going to start knocking streets of 50 story office buildings for a stadium. And while there may some wealthy counties, that's not generally where 1%ers live. It just means that only boring middle class people live there. Rich people are paying $3MM for luxury 2 bedroom apartments in the city, and young professionals are paying $1,200 per room a month to have two roommates in a tiny place to be close to work and have the fast life. You pay $500-600K for a big plot of land in the suburbs, don't really land worth caring about for developers.

You don't build baseball stadiums for 1%. While Manhattan has a large concentration of 1%, most of the others live in the suburbs of large metropolitan areas...

A drill-down to the zip code level shows that the zip code with the largest number of very rich households is 10023 on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, with 7,621 such households. That zip code, plus one other on the Upper West Side, one on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, and the Washington suburb of Potomac, Maryland, each have about 0.2 percent of all the nation’s very high-income households.

Rounding out the 20 zip codes with the most very high-income households are several in Manhattan (on the Upper East and Upper West Sides, Midtown East, and Greenwich Village), the New York suburb of Scarsdale, Chicago’s Lincoln Park, Cupertino in Silicon Valley, the Houston suburb of Sugar Land, part of Houston’s west side, the Chicago suburb of Barrington, Princeton, a suburban area north of San Diego, and the Washington suburb of Bethesda, Maryland.

http://www.citylab.com/work/2011/10/where-one-percent-live/393/

I don't think I am wrong in saying that the bulk of baseball fans are from the suburbs and are middle class.

The concentration of a fan bases in a any specific suburban setting does not possess the density to carry an urban areas team unless you are talking a huge urban area.. Or a 300 mile safe zone to anti trust.

The concentration of a fan bases in a any specific suburban setting does not possess the density to carry an urban areas team unless you are talking a huge urban area.. Or a 300 mile safe zone to anti trust.

Forget the whole stadium in the suburbs discussion.

Orioles fans go to more games on the weekends because the bulk of those fans live in the suburbs and a good percentage of those fans have kids. When your season ticket base goes down individual buyers aren't going to games during the week. If he Orioles had a bunch of ticket buyers living in the city we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Archived