Will the fans show?

Todd-O

American fans? Yes, they would. American fans, mostly, see it as all downside. Plus you might have to root for a Yank or Red Sox if they're American.

I just think most Americans don't want a situation where we're risking losing. If we're not dominant, or at least pretty heavily favored, we're not that interested. One of the benefits of the World Series and the Super Bowl is that American teams win 100% of the time.

For the NFL, yes. For MLB, almost; don't forget 1992 and 1993. :)

o

Canada may have had 3 consecutive World Series champions in a row (the Expos, in 1994), if not for the Players strike.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read the NFL and MLB's CBAs cover to cover. Have you? They're available for public viewing online.

And really? "Care about dearly?" Did you watch any of the WBC games? When the Latin countries were playing the fans were literally screaming louder than I've ever seen anybody cheer at any MLB game, even a World Series game. So you're saying that people would rather watch a mundane middle of the season regular season game with 15,000 games that is part of a 162 game season then a short, intense, 12-13 game tournament for global pride and supremacy?

And if these owners care anything about money, they would salivate at the idea of expanding their brand globally. The MLB is doing pretty poorly with global TV revenue compared to the NBA and the elite European soccer leagues. These dudes might bleed red, white, and blue, the power of the green pieces of paper influence them. These players have no marketable skills besides playing baseball. The owners could bring this knowledge to the negotiating table, and remind them that in order to continue earning millions of dollars, they have to fulfill certain obligations to the league. If they don't like it, there are other people who can play as well and fill seats. They can go back to whatever other blue collar job their obscure skillset will allow them to do. I'm sure that delivery truck companies are hiring for drivers.

Baseball. Sure have. You must have been responding to someone else with the rest.

I've read the NFL and MLB's CBAs cover to cover. Have you? They're available for public viewing online.

And really? "Care about dearly?" Did you watch any of the WBC games? When the Latin countries were playing the fans were literally screaming louder than I've ever seen anybody cheer at any MLB game, even a World Series game. So you're saying that people would rather watch a mundane middle of the season regular season game with 15,000 games that is part of a 162 game season then a short, intense, 12-13 game tournament for global pride and supremacy?

And if these owners care anything about money, they would salivate at the idea of expanding their brand globally. The MLB is doing pretty poorly with global TV revenue compared to the NBA and the elite European soccer leagues. These dudes might bleed red, white, and blue, the power of the green pieces of paper influence them. These players have no marketable skills besides playing baseball. The owners could bring this knowledge to the negotiating table, and remind them that in order to continue earning millions of dollars, they have to fulfill certain obligations to the league. If they don't like it, there are other people who can play as well and fill seats. They can go back to whatever other blue collar job their obscure skillset will allow them to do. I'm sure that delivery truck companies are hiring for drivers.

Yeah, I don't think so. People will pay to watch the best 800. The rest? Not so much.

I just see it as a way to create another tournament that's interesting where I can be watching championship baseball. I think that would appeal to a lot of fans who don't have a prayer of a World Series for their favorite team. I also think that being it in the middle season would give the USA players a fighting chance against Japan (since we always get crushed playing before players get into shape).

Reading the agreement is not anything like being privy to a negotiation of it.

Archived