It's not that hard to see why they stopped hitting

turtlebowl

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our hitters LOVE swinging at ball four. Been doing it all season.

If you are talking about the Davis at bat in the 8th I was thinking the same thing. After he swung at a pitch that would have been a lead off walk I was thinking how fitting if he takes a called third strike. Sad that I was happy that he at least struck out swinging, lol.

I watched the game last night just like most nights but I really became focused on something. I noticed how many either pitchers pitches or balls out of the strike zone that the team swings at early in counts. I know I had at least a hand full of times where if they were selective on the first 2 pitches the count would have been 2-0 instead of 0-2. Jones and Schoop especially just looked like they made up their mind they were swinging before the ball was even thrown. Even worse in my mind, once they get behind in the count they seem unwilling to change the approach and just shorten up and put it in play, it's still grip it and rip it. I think the Rangers exposed how to pitch to this team a couple of months ago and for the most part when executed properly the O's hitters get themselves out. Somewhere this whole hitting philosophy needs to change in this organization. I get tired of hearing they are free swingers and you can't take their aggressiveness away. Every team has a better approach at the plate then we do. This isn't just a slump, this team has been scouted and hasn't made any adjustments at all. Someone in the organization needs to say enough with this so it doesn't happen year after year.

They just needed to hit more homers and make fewer errors.

I still feel that managers should change lineups more often based on who's hot and who's not.

Because generally a players performance the day or week before doesn't predict his performance that day better than his career (or last 3 seasons) numbers. See: the hot hand fallacy.

Archived