What inning would we have scored in?

sportsfan8703

What inning would we have scored in?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What inning would we have scored in?

• 12th
    • 13th
    • 14th
    • 15+
    • 20+
    • We'd still be out there

This poll is closed to new votes

Our offense sucked but they are loaded with guys who only need 1 pitch to go yard.

The heart of our order was coming up with 2-3 35+ HR guys.

Which is why it's so frustrating that Buck was saving Britton for some hypothetical inning that may or may not have existed.

When your in extra innings you manage the game like every inning is the last, end of story

Here are the career batting averages against Liriano. I put the lineup as it was last night.

Adam Jones 8-22, .364

Nolan Reimold 4-9, .444

Manny Machado 2-8, .250

Mark Trumbo 4-21, .190

Matt Wieters 4-14, .286

Chris Davis 3-6, .500

Jonathan Schoop 2-6, .333

Michael Bourn 0-1, .000

JJ Hardy 5-20, .250

Pedro Alvarez 0-2, .000

Drew Stubbs 0-2, .000

Obviously, it is impossible to say one way or the other, but out of the fun of speculation. My guess would have been Top 12 or Top 13. The Top 11 ended with a strikeout of Nolan Reimold, but the 12th would have seen some respectable averages face off against him. Nothing is certain and, if we made it to Davis, he has a smaller sample size and has shown no life at the plate at all. Still, I'd say Top 12 or 13, but the way we looked against Liriano doesn't exactly build my theory up haha.

The only way we score is if we run into one HR.

With that said saving Britton blew up then we could all be mad after we used up Britton in the 9th and didn't score either?

If you really want to pick on Buck why the hell did he PH Riemold just leave Kim in the game?

Let's see what everyone thinks. I personally vote 15+. We couldn't even get good swings, let alone baserunners, or scoring opportunities.

Do people have really short memories around here and not remember Game 4 of the 2012 ALDS against the Yankees? They had one baserunner from the 6th inning to the 12th inning of that game. They were having terrible at-bats and the Orioles bats looked completely punchless. But then the offense was finally able to break through and score in the 13th inning and they won that game. Just because the offense was in a funk for most of the game doesn't mean they were never going to break through and score.

Do people have really short memories around here and not remember Game 4 of the 2012 ALDS against the Yankees? They had one baserunner from the 6th inning to the 12th inning of that game. They were having terrible at-bats and the Orioles bats looked completely punchless. But then the offense was finally able to break through and score in the 13th inning and they won that game. Just because the offense was in a funk for most of the game doesn't mean they were never going to break through and score.

I'm an Orioles apologist on this site. lol. Speaking of games I remember:

The series at HOU this year.

The series at Oak this year.

This game wasn't some funk. It was a microcosm of the entire 2016 season.

-Gritty performance by O's starter. But not good enough.

-Jones and Schoop having 1 pitch AB's.

-Trumbo hitting a HR

-The bullpen being dominant

-Ubaldo stinking

-MW not pitch framing

-No BB's for our hitters

-Great double plays by our defense.

Who are who we are. The public perception is that this was a great hitting team. That ended right before the all star break. It's not all Buck's fault. It's 98% the hitters. This wasn't some funk we were going to break out of. Our only hope was to hit a solo HR. And we tried that for the last 6 innings.

15+ is my vote. Offense was the real culprit in the loss last night, as it has been for the bulk of post-ASB. Davis not laying down a bunt to lead off the 10th was endemic of our team-wide offensive approach. Sure Davis always has the potential to pop one. But the Jays were conceding the lead off hit. IMO, the way Davis has looked, take the gift, Schoop bunt, then PH Alvarez (or Mancini, if Liriano came in when Alvarez was announced as the PH), and take your shot that Alvarez/Mancini or JJ can bring Davis home from 2nd.

I'm an Orioles apologist on this site. lol. Speaking of games I remember:

The series at HOU this year.

The series at Oak this year.

-Gritty performance by O's starter. But not good enough.

-Jones and Schoop having 1 pitch AB's.

-Trumbo hitting a HR

-The bullpen being dominant

-Ubaldo stinking

-MW not pitch framing

-No BB's for our hitters

-Great double plays by our defense.

Who are who we are. The public perception is that this was a great hitting team. That ended right before the all star break. It's not all Buck's fault. It's 98% the hitters. This wasn't some funk we were going to break out of. Our only hope was to hit a solo HR. And we tried that for the last 6 innings.

Well said our entire season wrapped around one game it's who we are and it sure did not looked like a WS team in the 2nd half did it? He!! they were lucky to get in the show.

I think this is an important point. While it was a heartbreaking loss for me, I don't feel a World Series team blew their chance last night. I was more disappointed in the Royals series in 2014. The Orioles are always one swing away from doing damage, but in the second half at least, it always felt like those swings were distant from one another, no matter who was hurling the ball.

Exactly. When I saw us lose after going hitless for 5 straight innings I didn't feel like we lost because of an epic Showalter blunder. I felt disappointed but also felt, "Seems about right." I expected better from this roster, but this is really how it's been for the last couple of months. If I was going to be rabid with frustration I'd have to have felt this team was legitimately better than the other teams still playing and I just don't feel that's the case.

On the other hand, for those angry at Buck, here's a video that reminds me of his bold strategy in keeping Zach in the pen:

[video=youtube;K1GFqnUb_y0]

Archived