Apparently the Tigers almost gave Chris Davis a $200 Million contract last offseason.

FanSince88

Regarding the link -- I think the article is spun heavily in favor of the home team there. Typical excuses include "Upton was bad in the first half but great in the second half" and "Davis was a lot better defensively but that could change next year".

Believe it or not I like Davis' contract better moving forward. UNLESS Upton takes the opt out.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a great owner who badly wants to see his Tigers win a World Series before he dies. I wish another octogenarian owner was as passionate about winning as Ilitch is.

You mean the owner that signed Davis to a big deal instead of Ilitch, so he can try to get his team to the World Series in short order before he dies?

Sorry, I thought I was quoting this from CoC:

2015 count as a monster year?

Of course; I will take something approximating 148 wRC+ any day. Heck, a 111 wRC+ ain't too shabby when you are buying retail. If he has two more years like 2015 offensively, the contract is at least a wash I think. Plus, he seems to be growing into 1B defensively, and he is frisky for his size.

Sorry, I thought I was quoting this from CoC:

Of course; I will take something approximating 148 wRC+ any day. Heck, a 111 wRC+ ain't too shabby when you are buying retail. If he has two more years like 2015 offensively, the contract is at least a wash I think. Plus, he seems to be growing into 1B defensively, and he is frisky for his size.

Fair enough, was just wondering where you drew the line.

So am I to believe that Davis had little bat control with a problematic hand he was nursing all season?

Personally I believe it inhibited his ability to get around on a good fastball at times. We saw some pretty bad swings.

And he knew it, so he swung less in hopes of walking, and had an inordinately high number of Ks looking.

So much for that whole "bidding against ourselves" nonsense.

Did you see the word "almost" in the title?

Like I already said, we knew that Boras tried to get Illitch to bid on Davis and how the Tigers GM stopped it.

The only confirmed offers we have seen for Davis came from the O's.

No, about $8M better. Upton made a little more than $22M this year. I can't believe DD paid Davis $87M this season. That's pretty irresponsible.

And if Davis was in the outfield, instead of first base, how much of that 8M difference disappears? (Obviously from the Tigers' view not the O's)

And if Davis was in the outfield, instead of first base, how much of that 8M difference disappears? (Obviously from the Tigers' view not the O's)

You tell me. They both had negative value defensively. Offensively Upton didn't do much of anything better than Davis.

This was common knowledge except for the dollar amount.

And he would have been playing in the outfield.

Is playing right field such an important thing for Davis - or not playing right field? Because I would personally love to see him patrolling right field, and Mancini our regular first baseman. Davis is pretty athletic, and he's got a cannon that's basically going to waste at 1B.

It would make so much more sense. You would immediately improve your OBP and make space for Mancini, which needs to be done, IMO. You would fill your hole in right field. Trumbo did okay out there, but Davis would be better, I think.

And you could possibly re-sign Alvarez and Pearce and let them platoon at DH. Or just resign Pearce and let Sisco man the lefty DH spot, spend Alvarez money elsewhere.

This idea that Davis told them he's only playing first - or he wouldn't want to play outfield - that's crazy. For $160 million, he should be willing to play ball girl.

You tell me. They both had negative value defensively. Offensively Upton didn't do much of anything better than Davis.

Unlike some others I don't have a lot of confidence with Davis in Right. I think he looks decent enough out there, but looks are often deceiving.

Upton had a 105 wRC+ this year to Davis' 111. My guess (and it's a guess) is that Davis, over the course of a season, wouldn't be better than Upton in the outfield.

So is 6 points of wRC+ and a some baserunning worth it?

Archived