American @ Maryland

Munson

Trimble won the game for us....pretty much single-handedly. I really want to see him get his three point shot going though. 41 percent as a freshman. 31 percent as a sophomore and 0 for 4 tonight. He won't be able to bully his way into the lane as easily when we aren't playing a mid-major team.

Huerter looks like he's going to be a knock down shooter. Cowan looked good as well and Justin Jackson also did some nice things.

Nickens still absolutely worthless when the 3-point shot isn't falling.

L.G. Gill looked better than expected. He may be our best low-post scoring option, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Overall I think this team is going to have a difficult time scoring the ball. Trimble had a good game and we still only scored 62 against a mid-major. Still way early obviously and lots of young blood on the team. We will really be tested Tuesday night against Georgetown.

Absolutely loved what I saw from Huerter. He played great defense all game, boxed out, and rebounded. And the two 3s he made were huge shots. 2-2 from beyond the arc.

Trimble looks healthy and explosive. Jackson hustles hard and rebounds well. He didn't finish particularly well tonight, but I trust he will improve. Gill is an excellent addition to this squad. He also rebounds well and is strong under the rim.

Too many turnovers, they should correct that going forward. Need to shoot better from beyond the arc too. Nickens, please improve brother. His whole game is catch and shoot. Would like to see him develop more.

Any input on how Wiley played? Think his contribution could be important this year. Heard on the radio he is comfortable on his knee now, but did he look hesitant at all?

Came off the bench and shot 1-6. I don't get why people think he's anything more than a depth guy. Showed nothing his Freshman year. I think Turgeon played up his loss last year because we had so many issues.

Going to have trouble with teams with decent bigs. Dodd just hasn't developed at all. Ceko didn't play, need him to step up this season. Bender doesn't look like much of a defender. I liked how Gill handled himself inside offensively but defensively he's pretty lean/don't see him being able to guard big bodies.

Freshman all contributed, so that's positive. Huerter 2-2 from three. Cowan looked good offensively though lost the ball trying to drive more than once. Justin Jackson looked solid off the bench.

What are our chances against Georgetown?

If Maryland plays Georgetown the way they played American, they'll get smoked. Were playing weak competition but Hoyas scored 105 points in their opener and apparently pressed all game. Recent Terps haven't handled press very well. I guess the good news for us is that the Hoyas aren't as big this year (though they have a 6-10 soph center in Govan who may be a problem).

I'm basing this more on last season than the American game, but there's just not much offensive structure beyond Trimble trying to penetrate. Need one or two guys (hopefully Huerter and Cowan) show themselves capable as shooters because consistent scoring is going to be an issue.

If Maryland plays Georgetown the way they played American, they'll get smoked. Were playing weak competition but Hoyas scored 105 points in their opener and apparently pressed all game. Recent Terps haven't handled press very well. I guess the good news for us is that the Hoyas aren't as big this year (though they have a 6-10 soph center in Govan who may be a problem).

I'm basing this more on last season than the American game, but there's just not much offensive structure beyond Trimble trying to penetrate. Need one or two guys (hopefully Huerter and Cowan) show themselves capable as shooters because consistent scoring is going to be an issue.

Having two PG in the backcourt (Trimble, Cowan) should help against the press. Huerter seems like he plays under control. I'm not too worried about our back court.

The lack of size and scoring from the front court is what worries me.

Archived